User Tag List

Thread: My introduction

My introduction

Hi there,

I'm Jamie, male, 29 years old. (Big 3-0 at the end of the month!)

Went to the GP due to weight gain, hoarse voice, sudden snoring and slurred speech. Blood tests came back as showing underactive thyroid. Got called back to GP to discuss results, which were:

TSH: Greater than 150 (0.35-5.5)
    T3: 1.3 (3.5-6.5)
    T4: 2.5 (9.8 - 23.1)

Basically the doctor said she was amazed i'm still functioning - and particularly amazed that I ran the London Marathon just under 2 months ago! Have been weak musclewise recently, which i'd put down to recovering from the marathon, and likewise getting out of breath easily now. Now I can see i had a lot of symptoms, but just explained them away as other things - i've had depression for years, have always been "cold-blooded", get frequent cramps etc...

She said that these results were extreme - are they really that abnormal? She's put me on 100mg of levothyroxine and am now getting antibody tests done. Is there anything else I should be asking for/doing?

many thanks
    Jamie

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Re: My introduction

Hi Jamie,

Your doctor is absolutely right. I felt absolutely awful when my TSH jumped to 80, 150 is too high. Your FT4 and FT3 are very low as well so you must start thyroxine as soon as possible.

I strongly doubt that 100mcg will be enough for you but it's a start. I would say after two weeks, add another 50mcg and then after 3 weeks of that, do another blood test to make sure your numbers are good.

Bear in mind that adding that much of thyroxine to your body will give you some extreme hyper symptoms but that's normal as body will try to adjust with the new arrival of hormones.

Antibodies tests is good but it wont bring you any help in terms of thyroid. It may tell you what have you become underactive thyroid. Ask for full blood count (Which I am sure your doctor would have already done) but apart from that, nothing your doctor can do at this very stage.

Prepare for some worst symptoms like hair thinning, weight gain and water retention, brain fog or forgetfulness etc (That's everything happened to me so symptoms will vary from person to person).

Once TSH level drops and FT3 and FT4 increase, everything will become normal Oh well hopefully normal

Keep us updated thumbup and good luck

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

You might also try to get tested for Vitamin B12, folate and ferritin(iron stores) and also sex
    hormones, and Vitamin D, as these are all affected by low thyroid.

Your results are rather extreme, but not all that unusual these days, generally people have been
    feeling ill for quite a long time to achieve those readings.

Hope you soon start feeling better, remember to take your tablets first thing in the morning with
    water, and do not eat or drink for at least half an hour afterwards, for maximum absorption

Ginny

Administrator Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

to the site Jamie, its always nice to have another guy join the site, as we are few and far between!

ask her to check your testosterone, Lh and FSH levels, LFT test, and RT3. As well as other autoimmune diseases such as Coeliac. check your vitamin D levels and B 12. Quite a few, but I'm sure she will!

Keep us updated

Ric
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

Baby Moderator Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Posting AwardDiscussion Ender

Country
    UK

Hi Jamie
    Wowzer what a TSH
    Actually I am wondering what mine was before I was diagnosed now I was sleeping for 4 days at a time and unable to wake properly. You were doing amazingly .

to the site and I hope you meds work well for you
    lotsa luv
    Dawnx
    ''If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.'' The Cheshire Cat, Alice in Wonderland

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Hi Jamie
    I am amazed you were still functioning - at my worst my TSH was 67 and I was awful. Yes - as recommended already - be prepared for lots of symptoms - including brain fog, aching joints, alterations to 'movements', swelling, water retention. As well as the medication try to make life easier for yourself by eating very healthily including lots of fruit. The condition can also affect your skin - psoriasis and dermatitis, e.g., on ears and feet. Great stuff. But you will start to feel better. You have been to a limit - look after yourself and be kind to yourself. Give in to the sleep if you can - no need fighting it. Hope you soon start to feel better again. Anni

Baby Moderator Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

hi jamie, welcome to this fab site- as you can see there are a lot of helpful people on this site, who can help provide the answers you need.

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense