User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAI vs. surgery.

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Country
    United States

RAI vs. surgery.

For those who have had RAI, did many of you have to repeat it? Does anyone wish they had NOT done RAI and had had surgery or on the opposite, wish they had opted for RAI instead of surgery?

I find RAI scary. The radiation stays in your system, and truth is, there is no way that they can guarantee that it won't affect an area that it normally doesn't. At least with surgery, you have to trust the precision of your doctor but don't have to deal with radiation.

Plus, I don't want to wait 1 year after RAI to get pregnant - which is what I've been told I'd have to do.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Re: RAI vs. surgery.

Hi mina19

Sorry to hear about your issues but there is nothing you can do about it. You need to talk to different people with hyper case to truly understand it as symptoms differ from person to person.

Right, first thing first...RAI or Surgery? If I am given a choice again, perhaps I wouldnt do either of them but again I was mildly hyperthyroid. It depends how much hyper are you? Why would you want to treat it in first place if you dont have any symptoms? RAI is easy that's why doctors recommend it as they ask you to take a pill and their job is done. You've to isolate yourself from everyone for a few days and then like you said, you can't have a baby for at least six months (In the UK, that's what they say). After that isolation period, you can mix with people.

Surgery, why didn't I do it? Simple, didn't trust doctors and their knife. I've seen cases where people suffer from infection and the cut itself will look ugly. Don't expect to be a small cut like for a boob job

In both cases, it's very likely that full thyroid will be destroyed/taken out and will make you hypothyroid and you'll be on medication for the rest of your life.

Forget blood tests etc for sometimes and try to see if you could live with being hyper? Trust me, if you think hyper is bad, hypo is absolutely worse!! Taking a pill everyday, simple is that thing is just pile of rubbish so don't trust anyone who says stuff like this.

If you are hyperthyroid by blood tests but dont have any symptoms like strong palpitations, heavy sweating, hand shaking or weight issues, I wouldnt worry about it.

Think of this in this way.....the whole system is currently working accordingly and on feedback system. If thyroid is over productive, rest of the glands respond accordingly. You take pills, mess up with hormones, it would be like hitting with honeybee nest with a stone and everything would end up in disaster!

I'll write a little bit more in detail once I am at home but my advise would be, don't rush...take your time, do research, speak to all sort of people you know and then make a decision and stick to it.

Country
    United States

THANK YOU SiD! As you said, I do not have any symptoms. And most people don't even go to the doctor until after they've tried to have a baby or experienced some kind of problems.

Perhaps I should take my time and go on with my life until I'm actually affected by the condition?

A part of me wants to do that. Another part of me wants to do the 'responsible' thing and get it taken care of right away because my heart would be broken if I miscarried or had a baby that had problems. This is weighing on me so heavily.

Quote Originally Posted by SiD
    Hi mina19

Sorry to hear about your issues but there is nothing you can do about it. You need to talk to different people with hyper case to truly understand it as symptoms differ from person to person.

Right, first thing first...RAI or Surgery? If I am given a choice again, perhaps I wouldnt do either of them but again I was mildly hyperthyroid. It depends how much hyper are you? Why would you want to treat it in first place if you dont have any symptoms? RAI is easy that's why doctors recommend it as they ask you to take a pill and their job is done. You've to isolate yourself from everyone for a few days and then like you said, you can't have a baby for at least six months (In the UK, that's what they say). After that isolation period, you can mix with people.

Surgery, why didn't I do it? Simple, didn't trust doctors and their knife. I've seen cases where people suffer from infection and the cut itself will look ugly. Don't expect to be a small cut like for a boob job

In both cases, it's very likely that full thyroid will be destroyed/taken out and will make you hypothyroid and you'll be on medication for the rest of your life.

Forget blood tests etc for sometimes and try to see if you could live with being hyper? Trust me, if you think hyper is bad, hypo is absolutely worse!! Taking a pill everyday, simple is that thing is just pile of rubbish so don't trust anyone who says stuff like this.

If you are hyperthyroid by blood tests but dont have any symptoms like strong palpitations, heavy sweating, hand shaking or weight issues, I wouldnt worry about it.

Think of this in this way.....the whole system is currently working accordingly and on feedback system. If thyroid is over productive, rest of the glands respond accordingly. You take pills, mess up with hormones, it would be like hitting with honeybee nest with a stone and everything would end up in disaster!

I'll write a little bit more in detail once I am at home but my advise would be, don't rush...take your time, do research, speak to all sort of people you know and then make a decision and stick to it.

VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Take my word, don't do it. I did it two years back and there is not even a single day when I don't regret it. .....you cannot go back once thyroid is destroyed or taken out......this situation is never reversible.

Once hypo, life is absolutely nightmare. It's not just becoming hypo, what happens when you destroy or take your thyroid out is, the whole body becomes in a situation of extreme stress and your adrenal glands kick in to reduce that stress. Sooner or later, they give up depending on how healthy those have been. (Hyper or Hypo, both make your adrenal glands exhaust eventually) Once adrenals are exhausted, it becomes so complicated that you do not know what do. You cannot take thyroid medicines because it wouldnt work as adrenal glands are needed for thyroxine to work. You cannot make adrenal healthy again because thyroid hormones is missing and they will always be in stress condition without thyroid hormone.

First thing to do would be ask for your blood test results and post them here. We'll see if some results are missing and on what basis your doctor has identified you as hyper if you don't have any hyper symptoms. Keep in mind, doctors just see the results and their ranges.....these number are created by us so sometimes people are out of the range but they are absolutely fine, you know what I am saying? One shoe size doesn't fit everyone!

I was hyper, slightly, because my FT3 was quite high but other numbers were okay. I lived with that condition for more than 6 years as a healthy individual. The only issue I always had palpitations and it made me feel my heart was beating very fast. Now it doesn't work like that.

From my understanding and experience, there could be two types of palpitations. One when you pulse runs very high so your heart is beating fast. You may or may not feel that strongly. Other is when your heart beat is normal but it just beats strong......that is due to a number of reasons.

Anyway, I started with medicines and that was it. I was swinging between hyper to hypo on medicines and it just didnt work out. They said do RAI and I said Yes Sir......then the whole hormonal system got upset and you talk about a baby.....you would be lucky to have and enjoy a good sex because feelings wont be there anymore. (Your sex hormones get upset because your adrenals are stressed).

Buy a few books on hyperthyroidism and study them. Change your diet and exercise pattern and mild hyperthyroidism will be controlled easily. If you dont have any symptoms, do not even bother going to the doctor. I reckon your are absolutely fine as symptoms and signs are the most important things when it comes to thyroid.

Of course, everything I say is based on my knowledge and experience I have gone through. Like I said, everyone is different and you have to deal on individual basis but please think million times before jumping into Surgery or RAI business. Your life will never ever be the same!!

Last thing I would like to add is thyroid gland produces 5 different hormones, T1, T2, T3, T4 and calcitonin. According to doctors, only T3 and T3 are important and they dont know functions of rest of the hormones in detail. Calcitonin is somehow related to controlling calcium in bones. Once thyroid is taken out, it is replaced by Synthyroid or Thyroxine which is only T4. You could argue if those other hormones are not important then why being produced in first instant.

Country
    United States

Wow -- this is a lot to take in, but I am SO grateful to you for giving me this information. I have a lot to research and think about. And, from the second I was told about my results, my gut told me something wasn't right -- precisely because I do not have any symptoms. I think I need to trust myself a little more and not just jump into whatever the doctors tell me to do.

I need to digest all of this...thank you a MILLION times.

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Yup glad to help you out.

It's better to speak to people who have gone through or going through it rather than reading or listening to your doctors. They don't care if you feel well or not, all they care is what range is your blood test so nobody can make them look wrong.

Every hypothyroid person on this forum or any other site will tell you, their doctor tells them that their results are okay but they dont feel well. Just imagine the same situation with you....after treatment when your doctor tells you, listen lady your tests are fine so there is nothing I can do and you would be, I am not well, please help but he wouldnt listen.

Print out the information and read it in your spare time and try to understand the whole mechanism and system before giving up your thyroid. Good luck and any questions, just ask! thumbup

Country
    UK

I have been on Carbimzole for seven years. But I am probably going to bit the bullet and have RAI in the next few months.

I was/am really worried about going through with it, especially after posts detailing the bad things that can happen and the problems with being hypothyroid.

BUT, I personally know three people who have had their thyroids removed for one reason or another. And they are among the liveliest most active people you could ever meet.

I phoned three members of the thyroid foundation in the UK who all had graves and then RAI and are now hypo. They all said that they do not regret the RAI and feel fine. One said that after RAI it took her a year to really feel OK with getting the levels of thyroxine right but long-term she is glad she did it. One said that after the RAI she overheard her husband saying to his friend that he had "got his wife back".

I hope this helps!

Sarah x

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense