User Tag List

Thread: Newbie diagnosed w/hyperthyroidism.

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Country
    United States

Newbie diagnosed w/hyperthyroidism.

Hi everyone - I'm so glad to have found this resource. I'm a 28 y/o female, found out I was hyperthyroid about a month ago. I went to my OB/GYN to get checked out before starting to try to have a baby w/my hubby, and everything checked out fine but my thyroid. My primary care physician ran blood tests and also confirmed the diagnosis.

The radioactive iodine treatment scares me - especially since I'd like to start trying to get pregnant asap. I'm waiting to see an endo on July 8 and going to ask a lot of questions about the surgery. Living on anti-thyroid meds is not an option for me since they're not deemed safe for pregnancy.

I was devastated when I got the news...now I'm trying to educate myself daily. I'm glad to have found this site.

Baby Moderator Achievements:

Country
    UK

Re: Newbie diagnosed w/hyperthyroidism.

hi mina,
    glad that you have joined sorry to hear your having trouble concieving, i dont think that thyroid medications would stop you having a baby, is this what you have been told by doctors ? im hypo but im sure others on here with hyper will be able to give you more help .

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Bear in mind that some hyperthyroid cases are reversible, mean that treating them with medication for some duration brings your thyroid back to it's original levels. Once hormones are balanced, usually blood tests are needed to make sure you dont get overactive thyroid again.

How did it all start anyway and are there are symptoms or signs to your thyroid issues or is it just the blood test which is making you worried?

And yeah to the site

Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by patchy boy
    hi mina,
    glad that you have joined sorry to hear your having trouble concieving, i dont think that thyroid medications would stop you having a baby, is this what you have been told by doctors ? im hypo but im sure others on here with hyper will be able to give you more help .
    for the welcome. I've been told to hold off trying to conceive until I do some kind of permanent treatment because hyper results in an increased incidence of miscarriages and/or developmental problems if you do get pregnant . And, anti-thyroid meds should not be used during pregnancy - unlike synthroid or other drugs when you're hypo which are safe.

So one way or the other, docs are going to make me hypO. And, I'm just trying to get all the info i can while I wait to see the endo.

again for the welcome. I'm sorry you have to deal with being hypo. The sad thing is, as it's been described to me by doctors, I'm looking forward to being hypo so that I can have either RAI or surgery behind me.

Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by SiD
    Bear in mind that some hyperthyroid cases are reversible, mean that treating them with medication for some duration brings your thyroid back to it's original levels. Once hormones are balanced, usually blood tests are needed to make sure you dont get overactive thyroid again.

How did it all start anyway and are there are symptoms or signs to your thyroid issues or is it just the blood test which is making you worried?

And yeah to the site
    See - you learn something every day. I didn't know there were reversible cases - aside from thyroiditis. I got the impression from the 2 docs I've seen that because I want to have kids, they prob won't wait to see if it corrects itself.

I didn't think I had any symptoms...I do get hot easily, but I also live in humid Chicago and have curly hair. Stress and anxiety - well, we all have that right. So, I would have had no idea w/o the blood tests...

for the welcome! I don't know anyone who has hyper, so I'm so happy to have a place to turn to.

M.

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

You are right.....hypo cases usually are irreversible because part of thyroid stops working or doesn't produce enough hormones.

Hyper is also due to auto-immune attack in this anti-bodies attack thyroid gland and pituitary gland identifies it and tells thyroid gland to increase the production so the cycle goes on. Sometimes antibodies go less in number and thyroid becomes normal again. Some over-active people actually have nice and stable period as well where they don't have any hyper symptoms at all.

Baby Moderator Achievements:

Country
    UK

i really hope you get the news you so desperately need, maybe you &your hubby will go on to have a few children, let us know how you get on with the endo until then we will be thinking of you.

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense