User Tag List

Thread: One week's thyroxine in a day?

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

One week's thyroxine in a day?

Is anyone taking their thyroxine medication for a week in a single day or some similar sort of arrangement? That will be quite useful if we can do it as they say thyroxine half life is 8 days so technically, taking all in a day or spread over shouldnt make any difference.

Any ideas?

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Re: One week's thyroxine in a day?

Hi, Sid. I dont know of anyone actually doing it, but I have read several times that the elderly
    non-compliant patient is given a weeks meds all at once to make sure they get them. Usually
    on 75 or 100 mcg per day

That would possibly be OK if on T4 only, but impossible if T3 was involved.

VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Ginny,

I have read exactly the same thing but wonder people who are on higher doses like myself. I take 200mcg/day so if I had to take all of them in one go that would be 1400mcg sounds crazy!

Nah it's just thyroxine what I take. My FT3 is always towards the high side of the end on thyroxine so I guess I am one of those lucky ones who convert T4 to T3 without any issues. Mind you, I started straight after going hypo compared to people who are hypo for a long time without being diagnosed. I read in Dr. Peatfield's book that those people will have trouble converting T4 to T3.

Guess it's not do-able. I was just trying to save myself hassle of taking medicine everyday. Like if you go for a holidays or something and sometimes it's not easy to take medicine exactly the same time everyday or u could simply forget all together.

Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

3000+ mcg in one day......wowza
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

My daughter and son-in-law are both doctors - not endos. When I say in a morning that I don't do milk or coffee cos of my meds my son-in-law says that some people take 8 days' meds at a time. I think he is very much a doctor who goes by stats and results. When I say that what I eat and how I feel and what time I take my meds affects me he doesn't seem to appreciate this. Yet I know that if I over - or under - dose by mistake I feel the difference. I have Hash and seem to be over - reactive to everything and also seem to have many anti-body attacks which affect my voice and other things so I am by no means stable and so perhaps not a good example but I do know three people who are 'straight' hypo who have said that if they over - or under - dose by mistake for a day - one woman said by 25 mcg levo - they feel the difference. She took 25 mcg over and was 'bouncing' with palpitations. I think, therefore, if some people were to take over 1000 mcg at once there could be a real risk of a heart attack? I don't like the sound of all this at all. Is it the levothyroxine we all love so much or is it a different drug that is being used as slow release?

Baby Moderator Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Posting AwardDiscussion Ender

Country
    UK

rather them than me :shocked:
    luv Dawnx
    ''If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.'' The Cheshire Cat, Alice in Wonderland

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense