Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I have anxiety and depression

Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Re: I have anxiety and depression

Hello Shan

I have no medical training and you should check what I have to say very carefully for yourself.

I note you say that you have been taking clonazepam for anxiety. I don't know how long you have been taking it but if you check the manufacturers websites you may find as I did that clonazepam is a short term drug 6 to 8 weeks and that there have been no long term trials. It is a drug that can suppress cold induced TSH and therefore have an effect on your thyroid.

You are not alone as a thyroid sufferer to be unable to tolerate AD's. Have a look at :-
    http://www.thyromind.info/site
    They were devastating for my son.

From your description it sounds like you may have been born with a thyroid problem or acquired it at an early age.

Thyroid and mental health go together. If you have one you are very likely to have the other. Treating the thyroid is fundamental to mental health and there is plenty of medical research to support this, So although you may very well require mental health drugs you must get your thyroid under control. .

If you have been suffering for so long it may take very much longer to improve than some other patients. I believe that the longer you have been suffering the longer it will take to get to health so please be patient. I don't know your blood test readings but just because they might not be as excessive as some other doesn't mean that there hasn't been as much damage done. I believe it can be like the the drip drip of water and over time can cause more problems than a sudden gush.

My son, who has problems much like yours, did not show any improvement until he came off AD's and clonazepam. He got his TSH to below 1 and his T4 to 19 and then started to improve. He does take another drug for anxiety but this has been checked and as far as we can find out it does not appear to clash with his thyroid. Even so there are ups and downs.

Regards

David

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

The mental health side of this issue is very personal to me. Having suffered from chronic depression since I was a child. Near the same year I started being treated for hypothyroidism. That was 3 decades ago. The whole family is crazy to one degree or another and believe it or not most of us have issues with our thyroid. I am new here so I will take people at their word that the two go hand in hand. I have a July 1 appointment with an endo who I am hoping will be open to at least giving me T3 in addition to the Synthroid. I would like to try the Armour but we will see what the consult goes. Those of you in the UK have national health. Where as I was told a week ago I have my job for three more months and then no pay and no insurance. So lets hope I can see some improvement in the short run. Even a mood elevation or energy rise would be a very welcome sign.

Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Hello
    Don't assume that because we have the NHS that everything is fine if you knew what a number of members of my family have been through over the last few years. Anything from hip replacement to back problems to Thyroid you would be amazed. This evening Television news was the story of a young baby that is suffering from flat head syndrome. This may cause mental health problems, poor eyesite and most likely will lead to other children taking the mickey. To sort out the child it would cost about 2000 for a helmet which would over a period of time straighten his head out. The NHS will not pay for it as it is not certain that these things will occur. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Regards
    David

Junior Member Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

Country
    United States
    Hi Shan,
    Some tips for you to treat depression.
    Do start some light exercise like yoga and share your problems with your pals.
    Eat a well balanced diet and avoid caffeine, alcohol and other stimulants.
    Last edited by Aldrich; 17th December 2011 at 06:07 AM.

Samuel
    Hmmm thanks for sharing this such a wonderful post i really like ur post and thoughts it really helped me and definitely helpful for the others as well....

Highland physical therapist
    Last edited by Samuel; 31st December 2011 at 06:29 AM.

Leonadus
    Research on anxiety & depression shows that the psychological and physical
    benefits of exercise canalso help reduce anxiety and depression while improving mood.
    30 to 40 minutesof exercise 3 to 4 times a week is all that is needed.

Sinus
    Glad to hear that you passed your fear . When I was young,I was also very shy and did not like to be held by strangers.New neighbors did not know who was I until my mother introduced me. When I passed university exam, I lived in a new environment so I changed. I have many good friends and they help me to enter to the life. It is lucky that I need not use any treatment.Take care.Good luck

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense