User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hypothyroid medication and allergies

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

hypothyroid medication and allergies

I started to take my new med Tuesday. I have had an allergy flare up. I am hoping it is just a coincidence and not the med. I researched and found that some of these meds contain acacia tree gum that can affect people with seasonal allergies. My doc doesn't think it is the med. I have had a low grade fever. So maybe it's all in my head. I took Claratin today. My neck hurts though. We'll see. Plus I take other meds which I will explain later for other stuff and about to go on another.

Administrator Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

Re: hypothyroid medication and allergies

If it persists, then I would be concerned, it might just be a coincidence.

Hope it gets better soon

Ric thumbup
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Hi
    I am on levo - have been since October - and my allergies seem to be worsening and I have now developed food intolerances - wheat, lactose. I have had to alter my diet tremendously to stop the swelling and water retention. I blame the medicine. Coincidentally, I have just been to see a gastroenterologist - something related to hypo and Hash but I won't go into detail and he is the first doctor to acknowledge that I will have good and bad periods with Hash and he thinks the hot and cold flushes/over-reactions to any temperature change (eg boiling kettle in the next room, fridge door being opened in the next room ) ) are probably down to the condition. This is the fiorst doctor I have seen in the last year a/ to acknowledge the symptoms and side effects and b/ to say that my health will fluctuate with the condition. Wow. I feel better because of this - sometimes, when I mention symptoms and feeling sick I get a blank look from my GP - or it is blamed on 'my age' This consultant said I am right to have a high fibre diet and to carry on with that. This was at a private clinic - no, I haven't paid but have used the NHS ' choose and go' option - so perhaps this type of consultant feels as if they have to show more interest? At least the experience, although painful. , has been a refreshing one! I think we need to carry on experimenting to see what suits us and what doesn't, because generally, it seems, GPs aren't interested. Neither was the endo I saw a few months ago. Take care.

Country
    UK

Anni, it would seem that many gastroenterologists, rheumatologists and even psychiatrists are more
    "on the ball" with diagnosing thyroid problems than are the endos. Quite a few people have been sent
    back to their endos/doctors with a hypo diagnosis, particularly from the psychiatrists.

You appreciate your good doctor and hang on to him if you can.

Country
    UK

Hi Ginny
    I will do while I need to but I hope this little episode will soon be over as I am sick of having almost every orifice I have being looked at, felt, injected and having cameras therein! If he is there to do the camera jobby I may talk to him more. I didn't say that much really but he asked and was so understanding. Obviously he has dealt with other people with thyroid mess who have 'bottom' probs too. You are right. Take care, Anni

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Question Re: hypothyroid medication and allergies

My allergy is getting MUCH better. I was also prescribed some Flonase for my itchy/stuffy nose. I may not need it long as the allergy is better but I'll take it for a while. I am on a beta-blocker for my heart because it skips all the time. Clonazepam for anxiety, so I am taking four prescriptions right now. I drink lots of milk. My doctor said nothing about what to eat. She's a GP. I hope she checks my levels on a regular basis so I know this stuff will help me. She was eager to get me started on the med as soon as my test came back and sh e wants to see me in a month.

Administrator Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

Hey, I'm glad the allergic reaction is subsiding!! great news..

As for foods etc, check out our book section and foods section all crammed with info about that

If there is something you cant see please dont hesitate to ask!!!

Ric
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense