User Tag List

Thread: Meds keep getting raised

Meds keep getting raised

Hi, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in December of 2006, when I was approximately 2 months pregnant with my first child. I was later diagnosed specifically with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. They started me at 12.5 Micro Grams of levothyroxine. Since then, after every blood test they have to raise my levothyroxine. I was just raised to 125 MCG this month (May). Every time, it seems to work and I feel kinda better, more energy and what not, but only for about 2 weeks. I'm getting really frustrated. I've been dealing with this for over 2 years and they still don't have my meds right. As an additional complication due to weight gain and my thyroid issues, I now have sky high cholesterol and developed type 2 diabetes. My GP is very worried about my heart. I see an Endocrinologist, but is he doing a good job?

I'm so lost and confused because there just isn't any information out there. Is anyone else having these issues? Is there anyway to get my thyroid hormone leveled out, or will they continue to increase my dose every 6 weeks after I get a new blood test? I'm so frustrated I can barely stand it!

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Re: Meds keep getting raised

Hi JennRatt

I think your body hormones must be changing continuously or your anitbodies levels (Which are attacking your own thyroid) may be raising hence your thyroxine levels is going up and up. 125mcg is not too much as typical dosage varies from 100mcg to 250mcg. So in essence if your TSH keeps raising, your GP or Endo is raising your thyroxine to keep it low. Mind you this is not the best way of doing it so you better read the basic information on thyroid and try to understand all the hormones involved in this process. Once you have got the grip, you should be steady. thumbup

Good place to start reading is brilliant site http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

Weight gain, fatigue, poor skin and hair, these are all common symptoms of low thyroid so this could be you are not on the right level yet. Best thing would be to get all the results from your doctor and post it here. Quite a few people understand these tests and sometimes are in a better position to advise you compare to your doctor as doctor work to set rule while we work to symptoms.

Thyroid levels always change and once you are on medication, it's usually for life (Sorry to say that but that's the harsh reality of it).

But the good news is, don't worry too much as we all in the same boat here and we are happy bunnies LOL

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Hi Jenn and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear you are not doing too well with finding your right
    level of meds, but thyroid disease is very slow and insidious in its onset, and sometimes it can take a
    long time to feel better, unless you are one of the lucky ones who feel great on a small dose of
    thyroxine.

There is a wealth of information out there, and you should read all you can about this disease because
    information is power and this will help you to take charge of your life again. Sid has given you an
    an excellent site for starters, and there is much information on this site of course. You can also have
    a look at the recommended books on this site.

Here is another good website:
    http://www.thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/index.html

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Exclamation Re: Meds keep getting raised

Thank you both so much for the websites!! My GP has decided to send me to another Endocrinologist in a bigger city. I have to get all of my records, so as soon as I have them, I'll post what they say.

My GP said at my last checkup that my thyroid levels were on the upper side of the normal range and it might not have been the best idea to raise my levothyroxine again, especially without seeing me first. When I told him that I only see my Endocrinologist every 6 months, that he usually raises my dosage with out ever seeing me, my GP suggested that it's time to see someone else.

I'm really hoping that this new doctor will be what I need as far as getting me settled.

As for my cholesterol, I managed to cut it in 1/2 with good diet and exercise!! And I've managed to come in just under the gun for my 3rd sugar test. My GP said as long as I continue on the path I'm heading, no sugar, no fat, (how boring, eh?) I shouldn't have as much to worry about.

Feeling better and starting to love life again!

Jenn

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Good to hear you're feeling a bit better atm, Jenn here's hoping it lasts.

Its a good job you've dumped that first Endo, raising meds and not checking could be
    a dangerous practice.

Let us know your results when you get them, we can try to help you decipher them

Take care

Baby Moderator Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Posting AwardDiscussion Ender

Country
    UK

Hi hon

It seems that hypothryroid seems to lead into diabetes quite often, however why I have no idea. The high cholestrol will be the thyroid disorder I should think and not the diabetes. Why on earth would you want to be on a low fat diet? You need fat to build cell walls (cholesterol does that) and build hormones. It is bad and damaged fats you need to avoid.
    Check out this lady, I have her book it is awesome.
    her name is Dr Schwarzbein and she has a good video on this page http://www.schwarzbeinprinciple.com/pgs/home.html
    I definately recommend her books. She disagrees with Armour thyroid which I am on but nobody can be right about everything the Drs are indoctrinated from early on that Armour is bad.

Anyway, as the others said, absolutely correct, slow process, high inflammation disease so that is why they are worried about your heart.
    I am not quite sure what you mean about your hormones being high already before your raise do you have any labs you could post?
    take care
    lotsa luv
    Dawnx
    ''If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.'' The Cheshire Cat, Alice in Wonderland

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense