User Tag List

Thread: how much hc?

Junior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    England

how much hc?

hi folks,
    im wondering how much hc folks take and weather youve found it helpfull?

how do you know youre taking enough?

Tanya.x

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Re: how much hc?

HC dosage is different for different people depending how much adrenal stressed out and anything you take, is fully utilised in the stomach in terms of absorption etc.

I started with 2.5mg and soon raised it to 10mg going up to 25mg. I was under Dr. Peatfield's supervision and he asked me to stop at 25mg. I was taking 10mg right in the morning,10mg at lunch time and then 5mg after 3 o clockish.

How did I know if I was on the right dosage, oh well after a week, you start feeling better and that's where you stop. I have been on it for almost 6 months and now since last month, I have stopped it all together (You come down in the same way as you go up). Every time I reduced the dosage, I had those particular symptoms returning for a week and then feeling improvement which was indication of that adrenals are trying to pick up again.

I have tried adrenal extracts as well but it seems those are for someone at very initial stages of adrenal fatigue. Mine was quite severe so had to take cortef.

What symptoms do you have which you think could be relevant to adrenals? Did you do Saliva test? I wouldn't recommend using it without a supervision or without doing a saliva test.

http://media.pfizer.com/files/products/uspi_cortef.pdf
    The instructions if anyone instructed.

1000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveTagger First Class

Hi Sid,
    Read your "how much HC" 1-5-09. Interested to learn more if okay. You initally tried adrenal glandular - how much were you taking before switching to HC? What were your Cortisol / DHEA at that time?

Assume you had hypothyroid too? Did you wait for adrenals to normalise before starting Thyroid Support? Seems to have worked for you which is brill. Hope doing fine now your off HC.

Cheers for now
    sparrow

VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Hi sparrow

I always thought I didnt have adrenal issues but then I went to see Dr. Peatfield in Crawley and he explained the stuff and asked me to do the salivary test. (See attachment for the results, I've cropped my name etc out)

Cortisol came back down so I started on Nutri-Adrenal extra. Actually I stopped Thyroxine for a few days before taking adrenal, starting with 1/2 tablet and then raising upto 2 and then started thyroxine again.

What Dr was trying to tell me is that when your adrenals are down, you take it as you thyroxine is down and raise the dose to quite high level hence when you take supplements to support adrenals, all thyroxine is used up hence you feel hyper symptoms (Because you were already very high dose of thyroxine when you needed was slightly less). I was on 150mcg which was already low so stopping it didnt bring me any benefits. I take 225mcg now without any hyper symptoms.

I went up to 4 tablets of NAE, 2 right in the morning and two before lunch time. I felt a bit difference but that wasnt good enough. The reason for that is I was doing weight lifting which I have been doing for a while but if you do it extensively with your adrenals down, it taxes your adrenals further hence the damage.

Anyway, I spoke to Dr. Peatfield again as I kept in touch with him over the phone and asked him would that be okay to start cortef and he said yes and guided me through it, what I was supposed to do. I went up to 25mcg of HC which he said I should not exceed in any case. I was on 25mcg for a month or so and then started to bring it down. I must say I was having absolutely terrible time but taking cortef helped me specially with my sleep. Every time i reduced the dose, I had trouble sleeping and symptoms coming back but you have to give adrenals a week or so to pick up.

My jump from 10mcg to 0mcg was very quick and I had some bad time but I am so glad I am off it now since March. Now there is a phase like two good weeks and two bad weeks, then three good weeks, two bad and now it has made some progress. 4 good weeks and a few bad nights, hoping that it all ends up good.

A few physical symptoms I have noticed in my body was, first my veins. Veins on my arms always used to pop out like they full of blood but after adrenal crisis, you can see the vein but it feels empty....it's kinda hard to explain but blood test people couldn't put the needle in the vein because the blood pressure wasn't there. Other is very dry palm of hands like there is no moisture in them and I get all wrinkles on them now which is a sign of low adrenal and collagen protein. ALso skin is very dry and wrinkley....not exactly old people's wrinkle but it's not very firm like it used to be...it's kind loose and very soft.

Since I have stopped cortef and NAE, I have been on 7-Keto DHEA, which has helped a lot for some unknown reason. I reckon y DHEA level must have dropped hence I felt the benefit. I started with 100mg of Now brand 7-Keto DHEA and brought it down to 25mg. I am planning to raise it more as production of DHEA is not affected by supplements hence it's safe to take. 7-Keto has an additional benefit of not being converted to sex hormones. If you supply your body with DHEA only, it will convert to sex hormones and it's very likely when body is bombard with sexual hormone therapy, it produces opposite results, hence in women it is converted to testosterone and in men in estradiol, both will have extremely negative effect.

Dont know if I've explained enough but please do ask if you have any doubts. Playing with Steroids it not something which you should do unless you have done proper research and have medical supervision.

Last thing I would like to say is I thought of switching to Medrol which is like slow release hydrocortisone but Dr. Peatfield recommend cortef again for me because of my extremely low blood pressue. It was down to 84/46 as cortef tend to raise your BP so if you suffer from high BP, may be medarol is the way to go.

Baby Moderator Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Posting AwardDiscussion Ender

Country
    UK

Mike that is a cool result pic, mine was very plain (as if it really mattered lol)
    Thankyou, I am glad you explained all that. One of the things that really got worse for me with adrenals was my skin on my hands I wondered why and now I know. That and the swelling, very attractive

Hope you getting better, and hope you find your adrenals are ok Sparrow.

lotsa luv
    Dawnx
    ''If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.'' The Cheshire Cat, Alice in Wonderland

1000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveTagger First Class

Hi Mike,
    cheers for such detailed response, hope your'e doing fine.

Are there any unpleasent effects while taking Cortef do you know? Blood Preasure can be a problem for me, do you know why cortef raises B.P?

Hope your'e feeling better by the day.
    my best
    sparrow

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

I didnt notice any side affects to be honest.

BP was not an issue either as my BP was quite low. Not sure why Cortef and high BP are related, perhaps if your BP is already high due to other reasons and taking cortef may not be suitable.

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense