User Tag List

Thread: First Post by vero77

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

First Post by vero77

Post by vero77 as she sent this as a PM to me by mistake.

Hi everyone - my first anxious and depressed post!

Was told this week have borderline thyroid! and was anemic again!

I am fuming I have been telling my doctor for months something was wrong! My arms had both doubled in size! This time I called to say my hair was thinning and had joint pains in the feet! (arthiritc toe). My lovely thick hair was thin - my hairdresser have been telling me this since last year - I just thought they were very rude! and put it down to my age - Im 48!!! Until a month ago I noticed it myself after having my hair done!

He sent me for a blood test. I donít know what the results of the tsh are - I didnít ask I didnít realise the relevance until coming on to this site! He wants me to take another blood test - which I will do about 1 April because he says any medication I take will be for life.

In the meantime I have been looking around for natural cures and came across bladderwack which I got from some herbalist site. I have informed my doctor and he said its ok. Being Hypo - I will need iodine?

Anyway now I know why it has been seemingly impossible to move this weight 5.4 weight 98kg. Started at gym mid Jan still nothing lost!! Tried on some outfits today cried in the shop now a size 20! as I write this I feel suicidal, I feel I will never get well again, never get this weight off and dread all the other effects like diabetes that I read it could bring on!

I really wanted to insist to my doctor that he treat me now!! But you canít can you!

Started eating artichokes hoping this could make some difference.
    Has anyone got any ideas about medication, natural remedies, weight loss remedies I am at my wits end here!

Glad I found this site!

Baby Moderator Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Posting AwardDiscussion Ender

Country
    UK

Re: First Post by vero77

Hi hon
    to the site.
    You will find some things the Dr might not address, one thing while you are anaemic your stored ferritin which helps the thyroid hormones work with convertion in the liver will need to be built up before you feel any benefit, in fact, if you are on thyroid hormones and this isn't done you might feel quite bad still.
    Ask them to test your B12, Folate and B6, vit D is useful too.
    I always take a magnesium supplement as this is ofen low in hypos, I also take B vit supplements which are essential and vit C, this is the minimum I would ever take to help my body as it tries to rev up on thyroid hormones.
    I take Armour thyroid (Natural Dessicated Thyroid; porcine) but you won't get it in the UK, in fact you have no choice in the UK after the latest guidelines from the Royal College of Physicians and the British Thyroid Association, we have one pill the Drs are to prescribe and that is thyroxine, if you don't do well on it then, they seem to think it is your fault, because they refuse to accept you are still suffering from hypo symptoms despite how obvious they are and start to say things like you need to lose weight and that you are depressed. It left me depressed and full of pain, obese, thinning hair, cold, lethargic, and even more of the old symptoms of hypo. Some people do alright with it though, worth a try.
    You may need to be tested for adrenal status but the Drs only do it for Addisons and Cushings and recognise nothing in between, neither do they recognise pituatory fatigue which can slow down production of ACTH stimulator of adrenal cortisol which (cortisol) is also needed to get your thyroid hormones into the cells. Too high or too low and the whole process doesn't happen efficiently.

Bladderwrack, good but ask the Dr to test you for thyroid antibodies because if you have Hashimotos disease (the autoimmune disease causing hypothyroidism) Ask for a test for TPOs and TGab. Iodine can make the antibodies more active and make you feel worse. Selenium is good to take if you have this and can also help your body convert the T4 they most probably will give you into the active hormone T3 which is what your body uses at cellular levels.

If you are having tests the only ones I know how to interpret are the free T3, free T4 and TSH. We see no point in just testing the totals as most of those are bound to proteins and not available for use in the body. If you ask for your blood results please be sure to ask for ranges as they vary with labs.

Would be interested to see your results given your symptoms to see what they are calling 'borderline' these days
    take care and hope you get well soon.
    luv Dawnx
    ''If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.'' The Cheshire Cat, Alice in Wonderland

Administrator Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

Re: First Post by vero77

to the site, dont be afrais to type anything you like on here, we are not here to judge, we are here to offer support where no one else can/will.

Listen to Dawn, she is a voice of experience!

I hope you feel better soon

Ric
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense