User Tag List

Thread: Hypo with burning mouth

Hypo with burning mouth

Hi - I am a new member and was finally diagnosed hypo 18 months ago by which time my TSH was 60 with T4 under 0.5, I was in a hell of a state. I was displaying most of the severe hypothyroid symptoms but was told it was gastric reflux anyway I wont go on about that as I still angry.

I am now on 100mcg thyroxine and don't feel too bad most days but I have one problem which just wont go away, my mouth and lips feel like they are burning. Some days are a bit better than others but it is with me most of the time. I have checked my diet and also had my B12 levels checked. Does anybody out there have any ideas??? I didn't have this problem prior to being hypo.

many thanks
    Sheila

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Re: Hypo with burning mouth

Hi Sheila2 and

TSH of 60 is too big number and T4 was extremely low as well. Did you check your symptoms recently to make sure your TSH is under 3 or even lower as 100mcg may not be enough.

In terms of symptoms, different people get different sort of symptoms. I have never come across anyone having burning mouth but then again it doesn't really matter. You can safely blame everything to thyroid as it seems to upset so many other functions of the body that body cannot work as it is supposed to be.

People tend ot put on a lot of weight when underactive but I didn't have this issue but got problems with other things.

If I were you, I'd just make sure that my levels are optimum and then you can expect these kind of symptoms to go away. thumbup

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Hello Sheila 2, and welcome to the forum. That was certainly a high TSH result when you were diagnosed, I
    was never over 8 and felt real bad on that so I can only imagine what you must have felt like.

I haven't heard of a burning mouth being a hypo symptom, but sore mouths are definitely connected with
    low B12 levels. You say you have had your B12 tested and it was OK, do you know the actual result.?
    GPs are quite happy with anything in the range, but it may have been right at the bottom causing some
    effects. Ideally the optimal range for B12 is about 500 and over. In Japan their range starts at 500, in
    the UK its something like 211 to 911.

Have you googled "Burning mouth"? you may come up with something there.

Junior Member Achievements:

Thank-you both for your response. I will check my B12 levels range next month as I am due yet another blood test- can't seem to get stable.
    I did google burning mouth/thyroid and found (hidden away) a research paper and small trail on people (women) with this symptom and a higher that average number were also hypo.
    Conclusion seemed to be that getting the meds right would help.
    Sheila2

Senior Member Achievements:

Country
    UK

I was troubled with a very sore mouth at one time, with frequent ulcers and painful sores, As I have very
    good b12 levels of over 1000 I didn't think it could be that, but decided to take a short course of folate.

From the day I popped my first pill to this day about five months, I have only had a sore mouth on one occasion. I am not saying this is your problem, but worth bearing in mind if you don't find other answers,
    or maybe worth a try just in case. I would add that my folate levels were half in the range, but optimal
    is considered to be 3/4 of range - do you know your level?

Junior Member Achievements:

Ginny thanks for the suggestion I don't know my levels but I think I will give this a try - will be interesting and at least I will feel I am doing something proactive (as they say)
    Sheila

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense