Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New here, hi everybody

Junior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    United States

New here, hi everybody

Hi dear guys and gals,
    My name is Maria , I am an artist and a graphic designer, and a very miserable person —at least for the past 2 years, and I have been posting for awhile on realthyroidhelp forum. You guys seem like a much smaller community, but your emoticons are much funnier. In short about myself, I am 31, I was born in Belarus, where I unfortunately sustained a radiation injury after Chernobyl hit us, lived here and there because my parents split early and my father permanently moved to UK when I was 10, spent many summers in London hanging out with my fathers family, sneaking into pubs, and watching soccer matches, went through all the possible stages from a hippie to a goth kid to a goth kid with a job, and I ended up in America 10 years ago working as a designer and illustrator... until this disease hit me. Before I got ill, i had it all-a great place to live, a great job, a great life partner, a great number of friends, i was attractive (well, OK, normal at least), athletic, skinny, funny and smart, and had plans for life. I loved music, loved to go out, loved to dance, to do art, to read, to ski, to ride horses, to hike and travel, and all that stuff that we all like to do until something really bad happens. All of this dissipated very fast when i became ill. i proved to be resistant to all medication and developed severe myxedema and, well, I am not myself anymore. I don't even know who that person was, to be honest.

I have posted the short story of my unfortunate experience with hypothyroidism on the Lab Results forum, along with my recent labs If anybody is interested you can check it out. i am sorry that I am not big on smiley faces, I have been through hell and no, not back again. And please, everybody, never, never get sick. Not like this. Get better, all of you, I hope you really do.

Maria.

P.S. I am only here because of Dawn (whitbywitchuk). She is my little beacon of hope.

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Re: New here, hi everybody

Hi Maria,

Good to see you on forums and sorry to hear about your problems. I like creative people and being a graphics designer isnt easy job as you have to continuously come out with new ideas....it's quite challenging in my eyes.

May be I don't understand radiation fully, how come Chernobyl incident caused your thyroid problems after such a long time? Wouldn't that be 20 years after if you fell ill two years back? Also the disease must have hit you so hard to develop the condition of myxoedema...I am so glad I didn't get it as I suffered from Hyperthyroidism from more than 5 years.

Are you seeing any doctor at all and taking any medication? Sorry I may not be the expert on this but I really take keen interest in everyone's experience as it's this information which is extremely important.

Yes we are very small community and it's very kind of Dawn to invite you as well. She has been quite a treasure for us

Country
    United States

HI dear SiD.
    Radiation works this way on children. Effects usually show when they are young adults. In grown-ups, its a bit different. For example, my aunt and my mum got ill right after. But most of my friends didn't develop anything until they were in their 20s. My Dad got cancer the same time I got this incurable thyroid thing, and so did his wife. MY Dad survived but his wife has two months left to live, and they have two young kids back in the UK. We are all sickly, sickly, sickly. My thyroid was suspiciously small ten years ago, my endocrinologist in Belarus told me to watch out, but I wasn't treated as they all treat by labs and my labs were fine. When I think back I realize that I have been ill much longer than the 2 years, but it was sort of dormant. I was always tired, so exhausted. I had a very active lifestyle but hiking, backpacking, rafting, riding and all that stuff was so, hard for me comparing to all my friends. I was just exhausted all the time. My ex always told me I am lazy. But I always worked out, and hardly ever felt stronger—i felt so sick after each workout. Not anymore, now I am so ill i walk with a cane.

Baby Moderator Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Posting AwardDiscussion Ender

Country
    UK

Hi sweetie
    , glad you made it.
    loved music, loved to go out, loved to dance, to do art, to read, to ski, to ride horses, to hike and travel
    makes me tired just thinking about it

You found out why I am here, I like extra emoticons

I know you are going for your test tomorrow, I will be thinking about you hon, hoping that something get you right, hoping this Dr is a genius (rare breed but probably exist ).

The story of your family is heartbreaking, so many people suffering and so little knowledge about it by people in general, I certainly had no idea how ongoing it all was. They are still building nuclear power stations, maybe that is why we don't hear.

Anyway, welcome again, I am off to look at your other post .

lotsa luv
    Dawnx
    ''If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.'' The Cheshire Cat, Alice in Wonderland

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Gosh, never knew radiation could cause so much trouble to children. Got to look after my kids (Oh well when I get 'em) We have got so many of those nuclear stations in the UK. Hopefully no disaster hits us but better not to live close by

Good old happy days I usually watch pictures when I miss my old days and it's all good fun. Hopefully you recover soon as sometimes it feels like life is over.....no doctor knows what is happening and you wonder yourself, why it's all happening to just me and people around me is so happy

Country
    United States

Actually Chernobyl has happened for the same reason Titanic has happened—they were so sure its "unsinkable" that they completely ignored warning messages from reactor operators or whatever those chaps are called...It was reactor 4 that was sending error messages for a few days and "central" management simply ignored all signs of danger until the whole structure just..blew up in the air. We didn't see the explosion itself but those who did told horror stories of a red sunset and a mushroom cloud and all that crap...we only saw the bloody sunset. the reason why so many people got affected was the fact that instead of raising hell and evacuating people into bomb shelters the government tried to cover it up completely and nobody knew about it for 2 weeks.

We, on the other hand, or at least my parents, were what you called 'dissidents" (i.e. non-compliant underground artists etc.) and listened to the banned radio stations. My father heard it on the Voice of America and got everybody inside, but as we all know now gamma rays don't stop anywhere, unless its a bomb shelter of course...all we could do was hide indoors, take 4 showers a day, throw away our clothes and take incredibly large amounts of iodine...what else could we do? They tried to cover it up so bad that the first thing they did was sending students and young army recruits, 17 year old boys to "liquidate" the rubble-they had no protection biohazard suits, they literally shoveled radioactive bricks and rubble under the radioactive rays of the red sunset they would remember forever.

They remembered it was extremely hot and the rubble was glowing and most of them had no shirts on while they worked. All those kids were dead within a year. They died horrible deaths, i won't go into details but it was worse than any cancer and far worse than any AIDs you could imagine. Their deaths were also covered up until a very brave reporter risking her life and career published a book covering details of their sickness and deaths, and accused the government in all of this shit. The word "liquidator" makes people shiver back home...It took 20 years for their families to receive very small reparations from the government (little bit of money that is supposed to cover their funeral expenses).

The remains of the reactor were enclosed into a cement "sarcophagus" as they called it and since then, this structure is constantly leaking and falling apart, and they constantly patch it up, at the expense of more lives of more clueless 'liquidators". Not for a minute has Ministry of Agriculture stopped delivering produce form poisoned areas,in fact, only 3 years after the incident even the fields around the epicenter were opened for crops ...Frightened people all owned Geiger counters by then. Me and my Mum used to go to the farmers market with our own geiger counter and measured every freaking potato we bought, so they became sneaky and started mixing the produce together so customers won't be able to tell what region it comes form...its like being born in Orwell's novel or something.

Its a long story. And then civilians started to die off, like flies. First went the farmers who never even learned that they had to leave the area. Interesting thing is that when months after the officials eventually issued a warning, most locals refused to leave—they claimed that they "can't see" the radiation and therefore it doesn't exist. Coincidentally, they also couldn't read or write...Those guys are long dead, as u can imagine. There is a little town right next to Chernobyl..Hoiniki..it doesn' really exist anymore. All (and i mean all) children in this town died of cancer in a few years.

It was the largest cancer hospice (I can't call it a hospital) in the country. They brought kids to die there, those who had no hope.Its a long and scary road, this nuclear thing. Still, so many years after, every year on April 6th, there is a "March of Freedom" through the streets of Minsk —mostly "undesirables"—poets, political activists, students, artists, musicians, intellectual "elite" I'd say—all unarmed—who walk the streets just to commemorate those poor people who are still dying from that crap, and every year police still chases them down with guns and dogs-the thing is that people responsible for Chernobyl are still sitting in the "Parliament"-quotes are there for a reason, Parliament implies Democracy which we don't have....After being in one of similar "marches" with my college mates and by pure luck evading being beaten up and/or arrested, I never went again. What can we do?

They don't tell these things to anyone, even most locals are still kept in the dark.. I am not surprised at all that this is happening to me. The life span of a regular citizen has plummeted after '86. My mum's friends (who are 58-60 years old) are almost all dead now. But the propaganda was so strong that even my mum, though she is very sick too, is in denial. "Oh, it can't be that, oh, stop talking politics, you gonna get us all arrested." her phone is still tapped, by the way-we all know for sure, there are ways to know, and nobody still trusts anyone .

We used to collect all the 'banned " information regarding Chernobyl and some political literature in general, until there was a break into our house and of of it has disappeared...all of the magazines, tapes, newspaper clippings...nothing else was taken ...it was a warning and my mum stopped getting involved afterwards. its really not a surprise to me, this disease, not at all. i just wish i got something more obvious than this-with normal, regular blood test and all. And something that doesn't disfigure my face. pain-pain I can live with, they make pills for pain, but being deformed—its a whole lotta different story.

Baby Moderator Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Posting AwardDiscussion Ender

Country
    UK

Oh wow

That story sent shivers down my spine, the horror, the absolute lack of caring for people it is vile. Yet, it was so readable I found myself wanting to know the story more of the poor people and the ins and outs of it all, you and mum going to the market with a geiger counter. The irresponsible way they are patching it up all the time, is there any way they can get rid of it? I know very little about that kind of thing, I only know they dump it in the sea off the coast where I live in cement cases. I also know the sea erodes cement
    Your poor people. I often suspected the democracy was face, mind you, not so sure about ours to be honest, 2 parties are easily manipulated.
    I wonder if it would be safe for you to actually write a book on this? It is something that you never ever hear in the media.
    Also your ref to Big Brother, it is coming soon to a country near you, I firmly believe this.

I wish your mucin would go out of your face too hon, maybe, just maybe the mito research will come up with something.

lotsa luv
    Dawnx
    ''If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.'' The Cheshire Cat, Alice in Wonderland

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense