User Tag List

Thread: changing from thyroxine too armour.

Junior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    England

changing from thyroxine too armour.

hi all.
    im new too the site and im desperatly looking for information on how too switch from thyroxine too armour?

my endo who is treating me on the tsh has said im on enough thyroxing(275mg) and she will write too my gp to trial me on armour she said she has no experience of armour so im scared.

im also concerned because last year i tried t3 and it sent me crazy and im worried the armour will do the same.

can anyone give me any tips or guidence?
    Tanya.x

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Re: changing from thyroxine too armour.

Hi tanya

Presumably you don't feel well on thyroxine hence wanna give Armour a try? Do you know your numbers like TSH, FT3 and FT4? I am asking this because switching from Thyroxine to Armour will surely give you totally different test results what you have right now. It's better to keep record of all results so you can compare later on.

There is absolutely nothing to worry about thyroxine or Armour. These things don't stay in the system forever so if you are on a wrong dosage, a few days may go bad and then reducing or increasing the dose will fix that.

I, myself am on thyroxine and never tried fully switching to Armour. There is an excellent article on this website (I have been searching this for a long period of time but found nothing but this website)

http://www.drumlib.com/dp/000016.htm

So by the looks of it, you will need 2.5 grains to 3 grains of Armour. Some people make immediate switch but I would be shy of that. We all know thyroxine remains in the system for about 8 days so I'll make a switch over a period of week.

Like I said, if you don't like Armour or Armour doesn't like you, drop the dosage...and try raising slowly....still if there are no good results, get back to thyroxine while you assess why Armour isnt working for you. There are a lot of reasons why you wouldn't feel good on Armour namely low cortisol, iron or other hormone imbalance. Your feeling of being crazy on T3 could be one of the mentioned reasons as well. How much T3 did you add and did you keep your thyroxine dosage constant or dropped it while u took T3?

Keep us informed and wish you good luck thumbup

Junior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    England

hi sid,
    thanks for that.
    when i tried the t3 i kept on the same amount of thyroxine and i only added 10 mg of the t3.

my levels now on 275mg thyroxine are
    tsh...0.12...(0.10-5.o)

t4...15.9...(10.0-20.0)

t3 ...3.7...(3.5-6.5)

when on armour does the bloods look different?

you dont dose like thyroxine do you?ie increase a dose wait 6-8 weeks and then test too see where its took you .i beleive you can increase every 2-3 weeks?is that correct?

soooo much too learn.x

VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Adding T3 and not reducing T4 would definitely give you hyper symptoms as your T3 is 4 times more potent so theoretically you gave yourself 275+40 = 315mcg of Thyroxine in total......not surprised you didnt feel well.

Your levels dont look bad but you could do with higher levels of FT3. I am sure Armour will benefit you so give it a go without worrying too much.

Sometimes FT4 levels drop as you provide body directly with T3 hence body doesnt need that much of FT4 in the blood. It varies from person to person.

Nah with Armour you can increase the dosage once or twice a wee, depending if you dont feel hyper. You will still need to wait up to 3 weeks for the blood tests as even though T3 is readily available in the body via Armour, T4 will take time to build up in the blood. Plus Armour gives you extra benefit of having other natural hormones of T1, T2 and calcitonin which you wouldnt get solely on Thyroxine.

Like I said sometimes you feel hyper on very small dosage of Armour, then you must take into account of other low hormones (You'll have to do a lot of tests to find out which one is it) before continuing with Armour.

Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

TBH Tanya, I would ask for a Thyroxine increase bfore you try Armour, as if you can feel well on Thyroxine, you will be wealthier. You should try and get your TSh as close to Zero as you feel well on, and your T4 as high as you feel well on, these are Dr Skinners words not mine. He said he has one patient with a FT4 of over 100, its whaever you feel well on!!

If you dont want to wait, which I never, I know how little patience people have especially Thyroid patients with getting well, I think its human nature. Then I would add 1/2 a grain and deduct 50 mcg Thyroxine, and see how you go, get your bloods taken and go from there!

to the site by the way, hope you feel well soon!!

Ric thumbup
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense