User Tag List

Thread: Yet another new girl!

Yet another new girl!

Hello everyone

I'm Tabby, so so so glad I have found this place! Basically I was diagnosed with Hypo last april after literally not being able to do anything and my period stopping for 5 months, and my Gp said in a completely uninterested way that my TSH level was 37.5 and I've now got hypothryoidism and its all fine take these tablets and off you go! I asked if I would have trouble conceiving ( we've been trying 18 months now) and she said no!

So she prescribed me 100mcg of Levo and that was that. By accident I took 200mcg for a month and I felt amazing, went back to 100mcg and was almost dead. I asked her to up my dose, she said no so I've been taking 200 on my own lol. Going to a new GP next week to see about it all. I am so upset at not being treated properly I have no periods for 4 months then one lasting 5 months, and am told its just because I'm over weight that I can't concieve oh no it won't be your thyroid issues lol!

ahh! Doctors! So bascially I joined here for help and information. Nice to meet you all! xxxx

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Re: Yet another new girl!

Hi Tabby & to the forums. Thank you for sharing your experience but you'll learn that we all in the same boat when it comes to the GP. I sympathies with them as they dont know much themselves hence the treatment they suggest doesnt work in most cases. Very few GPs wouldnt listen to you and will treat you the way you want it to be.

TSH of 37.5 is a very big number. I am surprised you even had energy to go and see a doctor lol. Ideally TSH has got to be below 1 so you can see the massive difference. People with TSH of 5 even feel awful sometimes and gain weight like anything.

If 200mcg was good for you, they dont go back and keep the dose 200mcg. If your current GP is hesitant to prescribe you higher dose then dont stop and drop your dose, get them private somehow. You also have to check your FT3 and FT4 levels to see the whole picture but I am sure your GP won't agree with this eiter.

Let us know when you find a new GP and how you get on with him. Hopefully next one will be better as you may have to change quite a few before you get the right one.

Good Luck

Junior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Hi thanks for replying Before I got diagnosed I was literally a zombie, slurring my words, slept alot, had to give up my job etc.

If the new doc won't keep me on 200mcg I will buy it privately, its like I've suddenly been brought out of a coma and I'm not going back lol! Luckily there are alot of GP surgeries around here so I have my pick lol
    xxx

Baby Moderator Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Posting AwardDiscussion Ender

Country
    UK

Hi Tabby
    and welcome from me too.
    How fortuatous that you took that dose by mistake eh? Now you could really do with seeing your Free T3 and Free T4 if you are feeling good simply because if you go off again you might want to titrate back to the levels they are at right now .
    If you want any particular info don't be afraid to ask, if we don't know we are sure to know someone who does .
    and am told its just because I'm over weight that I can't concieve oh no it won't be your thyroid issues lol!
    that old chestnut eh? Everything is either weight or smoking if they cannot cure it.
    Seems you are insightful to the fact that the docs don't have this hypothyroidism thing 'down' and don't treat it properly, you are a step ahead of many.
    take care hon
    lotsa luv
    Dawnx
    ''If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.'' The Cheshire Cat, Alice in Wonderland

Junior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Hi Dawn thans for replying

I only took double the dose by accident, usually the pharamcy gave me 50mcg tablets so I had to take two, but then they started giving me 100mcg tablets and me being me didnt notice lol! Story of my life lol! I'll def ask about getting free T3 and free t4 tested.

I know lol its always my weight couldn't possibly be anything else! I went in to see the practise nurse when I registered as a new patient last week, and basically the whole 15 minutes was spent talking about how overweight I am etc etc then she told my husband who was in with me that I would probably get getastional diabetes when/if I get pregnant and me and the baby would die! Honestly! Personally I don't mind being overweightm everyone else has a problem with it though lol! And my father in law who has diabetes gave me one of those blood sugar levels electronic testy things and I've not got diabtes my levels are very low lol!

I will definatley be asking for info lol I have a natural cynicism for doctors. After obviously being Hypo for many years and being fobbed off with " your depressed" I don't take them too seriously now! xxxx

Baby Moderator Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Posting AwardDiscussion Ender

Country
    UK

Hi hon
    Nice nurse , lets terrify everybody type eh?

I feel the longer we are not corrected properly the more healing we have to do. I don't like to be a pain but I was on levo for years and as soon as I got into the menopause the fact it didn't actually treat all my problems properly came out into the open, so I feel that at some point during treatment people should add in a bit of natural thyroid, but that would just be my opinion. Plus I was also left years prior to treatment so things start to deteriorate. I think the first thing to go is mood and hair really, the body is so clever it diverts energy to where the vital life functions need it most.
    Anyway, piling weight was the next for me, then sleeping long long long long times (3 days plus lol, near myx coma really). Plus I have been suffering with digestive problems for years which are also a part of hypo. Anyway what I am saying is that it may take you a bit of time to heal and get all your bits back online, especially the reproductive organs, due to how the other hormones seem to adjust with the thyroid hormones.
    keep going onward and upwards
    lotsa luv
    Dawnx
    ''If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.'' The Cheshire Cat, Alice in Wonderland

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense