Thread: SSRis and Adrenal problems here

Baby Moderator Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Posting AwardDiscussion Ender

Country
    UK

SSRis and Adrenal problems here

Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, which include some of the mostly widely prescribed drugs in the United States, produce fewer adverse effects than other types of antidepressants. But their use can be associated with disruption of the action of antidiuretic hormone in the body, which wreaks havoc with homeostasis. This may lead to the syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion (SIADH), which is characterized by hyponatremia, a potentially fatal condition that is typically asymptomatic until it becomes severe. SIADH is more likely in some populations, including people who are elderly or who take diuretics. Serum sodium levels should be monitored closely in those at higher risk.

http://www.nursingcenter.com/prodev/...asp?tid=687707
    ''If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.'' The Cheshire Cat, Alice in Wonderland

Administrator Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

Re: SSRis and Adrenal problems here

for the information Dawn, its greatly appreciated thumbup thumbup
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    United States

Yes, thank you for that Dawn.
    There are many people helped by SSRIs but as you point out, there are adverse reations in some people who take them. This is why I've pushed the point in a number of articles in close monitoring of people placed on these antidepressants by their doctors, especially during the first several weeks. I also feel doctors should order blood testing that would check for potential problems like that you cite from the article you also provide link to. Several years ago, I also read studies that stated SSRIs can lower thyroid hormone in the body so for treated hypothyroid patients is another consideration a doctor must monitor. It could result in need to adjust their thyroid hormone replacement dose.
    (Avatar pic is of me & wife, 2008)

Member Achievements:

Country
    UK

Let me just say that my son has tried all sorts of anti depressents and they were all a major disaster. His condition just kept on getting worse. It only now that he has come off them that his condition is improving. If I say that he was in a bad way I am not exagerating. He could not have got much worse and there is no way that he will go back to them no matter what.

His psychiartrist has an awful lot to answer to.

He went for help and all they gave him was AD's for three years he was worse than when he first asked for help. He was continually going down hill. It was a very hard fight to get him off them. His doctors wouldn't listen and he was too ill to think about it for himself.

Please think very carefull before anyone takes AD's if they have a thyroid problem.

There was a report out from the University of Anglia. (I think that was it.) The conlusion was that AD's are not all they are cracked up to be and are of very little help to the majority of people.

David

Administrator Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

You know David, some Psychiatrists give T3 for Depression. Has your son tried it?
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

Baby Moderator Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Posting AwardDiscussion Ender

Country
    UK

I take Seroxat, I was grateful for it at the time don't get me wrong. However there is a possiblilty that giving me these stopped them investigating any other problem that was causing my illness, in fact it is certain that they stopped and I recieved a label which hinders me even now from proper health care as it is still a stigma, they think you are neurotic and don't know what you are talking about.
    As for T3 for depression, interesting thing is, my fiancee gets terribly depressed but try him on 1/2 grain Armour and after an hour he is a different bloke. Amazing and that experiment tells me he is either hypothyroid or depression responds immediately to the T3 in Armour. I have tried him on other things in case it is placebo but only that works. Interesting eh?
    Only problem is if he goes for testing for hypo the docs will think he has been listening to me and poo poo his request.
    Jim not sure if it is SSRis that push the TSH up? I may be wrong and it may be something else I was researching, but I remember thinking ah haaaa. I do think they scour out the adrenals big time.

lotsa luv
    Dawnx
    ''If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.'' The Cheshire Cat, Alice in Wonderland

Member Achievements:

Country
    UK

T3 was used as a treatment for depression before AD's were manufactured with considerable success. This was so even when patients were not apparently hypothyroid. There use has been forgotten it seem with these advent of these relatively new drugs.

At the moment my son is due to have his first blood test when he is free of all AD's. Last test showed he was under .05 TSH. He is now on 250mcg T4 and is showing signs of improvement so at the moment it is very difficult to tell if he needs any alteration or just to stick with his T5. He is waiting to see what his next reading is.

David

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense