User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Test results- how long? UK

Test results- how long? UK

Hi all

I have been suffering from the symtoms of an underactive thyroid for mqany years.
    But for one reason or another i havnt gone to see a Dr about this.
    With it being a new year/new start I have decided to make the first steps..Have an appt on monday to see a nurse. Then hopefully after that i will be able to see a Dr
    From what i have been told its just simple blood tests. Any rough idea how long it would be before i get results?
    Im only asking because i wanted to work out in my head how im going to move around my work for the newxt few weeks etc thumbup

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Re: Test results- how long? UK

Hi akme

What sort of symptoms you have been suffering from? If your GP is a good person that he may order some thyroid tests for you otherwise instructions would be, do some excercise, take rests, eat healthy blah blah blah.

Why not ask for a Full Blood Count plus FT3? TSH and FT4 are included in FBC so requesting a FT3 as well would give you full picture of your thyroid hormones.

In my surgery, if I meet the doctor today, I'll have to book an appointment for the blood test, the lady who takes the blood tests works twice a week and would be unavailable for four weeks as she is fully booked and once I have given the blood, it takes up to a week for the results to come back

They wont give you a copy of your results unless you ask so be prepared to ask for it and then have a chat with your GP and post your results here as well. Everyone is suffering from different sort of issue, all related to thyroid so someone will be in the same boat as yourself and would be able to help you out

Good Luck and hope it all turns out fine thumbup

Junior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Quote Originally Posted by SiD
    What sort of symptoms you have been suffering from
    * feeling tired and sleeping a lot - check
    * feeling the cold easily - check
    * dry and/or pale skin - check
    * coarse, thinning hair and brittle nails - dry head/hair
    * sore muscles, slow movements and weakness - check
    * a hoarse or croaky voice - dont think so
    * a change in facial expression - erm
    * depression - very much so
    * problems with memory and concentration - yeah and its becoming a big problem
    * weight gain - yup
    * constipation - yup..can go days
    * fertility problems and increased risk of miscarriage
    * heavy, irregular or prolonged menstrual periods - yep..oh wait im a man lol
    * a slow heart rate - dont think so

Lack of sex drive- I love my partner very much..but this has really started causing alot of problems in the bedroom

My father also has an underactive thyroid, but speaking to him about it is unhelpfull as he doesnt really understand much about it, other than the fact he takes a pill

VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Oh dear, it doesnt look very good I am very much surprised that you waited for that long.

You better be quick and sort this out immediately before it goes any further. Is your GP nice? (Most of them are not ) Try to get the blood test appointments as early as possible, I would definitely ask for a Full Blood Count, it will tell you all about liver and other important levels as well. Might wanna add testosterone hormone levels as well, decrease in libido could be due to testosterone levels plummting.

Ric has better knowledge of sex hormones as he had a treatment himself so would be able to guide you further guidance on how to deal with doctors and what to do if levels come out low.

Junior Member Achievements:

Also suffer from headaches pretty much everyday
    I hate myself for waiting, but i just tend not to like bothering Dr's with things.
    I also just thought things would just pass or sort themself out. But my partner has been forcing me to make those first steps

I havnt met my new Dr yet..I moved house and it was just another thing on the list that i was going to get around to lol

So I have to see a nurse first and then I should be able to see the Dr. Im hoping that if i get a chance to explain the situation then i might be able to see a Dr quicker. like that ever happens

Thank you for the help so far. I have looked at other peoples posts and really have no idea what all the results mean..So will be posting them here to hopefully get answers in simple terms

Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

I got my results within 3 days but I would say a week!!

Good look! I hope you dont have Thyroid problems thumbup
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

Senior Member Achievements:

Country
    United States

akme,

Those certainly sound like thyroid symptoms and a logical thing you have gotten tested for. When you get those lab results, post them if possible. I've read over the years that it's harder to get lab copies from your Dr. in the UK but here in the US, it's law that they provide them to patients .
    When I get blood testing, my results turn around very quickly usually, like in one or two days. I wish you the best in getting diagnosis for those symptoms!
    (Avatar pic is of me & wife, 2008)

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense