User Tag List

Thread: Alcohol use while treated for hypothyroidism

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    United States

Alcohol use while treated for hypothyroidism

As a treated hypothyroid patient, I've found that alcohol has less effect when I'm drinking it. I've always been an infrequent drinker but before thyroid disease, would feel a buzz with only a couple of drinks. I now find I feel nothing but maybe a little relaxed. The after effects the next day or so afterward are like flu-ish aches and serious fatigue. I feel this is because alcohol in research studies is shown to lower thyroid hormone in the body and with treated hypothyroid patients being on a set dose it doesn't fluctuate like that healthy thyroids do with hormone levels for people without diseased glands.

Here are some med research quotes about alcohol's effect on thyroid hormones:

"Alcohol intake was associated with low FT4 levels in male drinkers independently of TSH. CONCLUSIONS: An increasing dose-response relationship was found between alcohol intake levels and ORs for thyroid enlargement (goiter) in both males and females. Alcohol consumption was strongly associated with a higher risk in females."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18031329 (National Institutes of Health/PubMed)

"Avoid foods that interfere with thyroid function, including broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kale, spinach, turnips, soybeans, peanuts, linseed, pine nuts, millet, cassava, and mustard greens.
    Avoid refined foods, dairy products, wheat, caffeine, and alcohol."
    (University of Maryland Medical Center)
    http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/hypo ... 000093.htm

"Researchers have found that alcohol consumption during pregnancy can alter thyroid function in both the mother and fetus." (College of Medicine Texas A&M University)
    http://www.scienceblog.com/community/ol ... 02141.html

I do however also have a different reaction to other stimulants since thyroid disease & CFS, including caffiene & chocolate . One of the quotes above lists these along with alcohol as things hypothyroid patients should avoid .

Anyone else experiencing a difference in the effects of alcohol?
    (Avatar pic is of me & wife, 2008)

Administrator Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

Re: Alcohol use while treated for hypothyroidism

Intresting read Jim!

I find that my tolerance of Alcohol varies I can tolerate it well and other times Im a raving loon.

The day after varies from manageable to bad stomach aches so much so I caNT LEAVE THE house the next day, to the usual headaches and nausea.

After serious binges over the course of 10 years, Im seriously considering being Tee total, as it obviously doesnt agree with me. I have in the past abused alcohol, to damaging degrees. At least now, Im in control, not the other way around!
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Not a drinker myself at all so couldn't comment

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    United States

Ric,

Don't feel too out of place because in my younger years (teens up to early 20s) I drank a great deal. It became a lot less frequent starting at age 20 when I married back in '83. I had to make a choice of being a part animal or a family man and I chose the latter. I made a rededication to my Christian faith at age-19, so also had a lot to do with my slowing down. All said & done I was average in this area when compared to my peers during that age.
    I will say that I feel alcohol is especially adverse in people with endocrine diseases including thyroid because the change in metabolism makes you more vulnerable to hypoglycemia.
    (Avatar pic is of me & wife, 2008)

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense