User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mother in law looking for information

Mother in law looking for information

Hi,

My name is Diane. I am not suffering from a thyroid condition, but my daughter-in-law has just been diagnosed with possible follicular cancer and will very soon have half her thyroid and nodes removed. If the surgeons find any malignancy, the other half of the thyroid and nodes will also be removed.

The family lives far from me and I will be going there to help very soon since she and my son have a 10-month old baby.

I am here to look for first-hand information from all of you about what to expect after the operation. I am not new to cancer. I have lost my mom and little sister to it and have had it myself, along with my nephew when he was just 21.

However, I don't know anything about thyroid cancer. The type she may have seems to be rarer than others and quite agressive, spreading to blood vessels, bones and lungs.

I hope I can learn from you and I hope I can provide some insite of my own as we all go through this.

for being there. I need you!

Diane

Administrator Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

Re: Mother in law looking for information

Hi Diana I found this, hope it helps. Your DIL is lucky to have such a great MIL such as yourself!!
    How awful for your DIL to be going through this so soon after having the most amazing thing happen.
    Keep us updated as we are here to support you all through this difficult time. maybe tell your DIl about the site so she can get support herself!

Im no expert but found this site through Facebook. Hope it helps, I've supplied the link for all the info.

I hope your DIl makes a full recovery!!!

http://sites.google.com/site/steviej...thyroid-cancer

There are four types of Thyroid Cancer:

1. Papillary cancer, is the most common type of cancer, perhaps because papillaries are quite common in the thyroid gland. Papillary cancer mostly involves one side of the thyroid and sometimes spreads into the lymph nodes. The cure rate is very high.

2. Follicular cancer, the second most common type of thyroid cancer, is somewhat more malignant than papillary. The thyroid gland is comprised of follicles which produce thyroid hormones that are essential for growth and development of all body tissues. This cancer doesn't usually spread to the lymph nodes, but it may spread to arteries and veins of thyroid gland and more distantly (lung, bone, skin, etc), though that is uncommon. Follicular cancer is more common in older people.

3. Medullary thyroid cancer, is the third most common type of thyroid cancer, and usually originates in the upper central lobe of the thyroid. It spreads to the lymph nodes earlier than papillary or follicular cancers. It differs from papillary and follicular cancer, however, in that it does not arise from cells that produce thyroid hormone, but instead from C cells. These C cells make the hormone calcitonin. This type of cancer can run in families.

4. Anaplastic thyroid cancer, is the rarest and most serious thyroid cancer. It can spread early to lymph nodes, thus usually the cause for a visit to the doctor is a mass in the neck. It also is the form of thyroid cancer most likely to spread to other organs beyond the thyroid or lymph nodes. This type of thyroid cancer is more common in those over 65 and in men. Long-term survival rates are far less than for the other three types of cancer.
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

Junior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thank you so much for your reply. I felt wonderful as I read it. And you reference is vey informative. for that as well.

In speaking to my daughter-in-law last night, she tells me that she will not have her entire tyroid removed unless the surgeon finds a definite malignancy when they do the surgery. In other words, the pathology report came back as "suspicious" and with abnormalities only on the left side. Nothing at all on the right side. Her doctor told her that, unless the frozen section biopsy is positive, they will not remove the right side of her thyroid and avoid her becoming hypothyroid and having to take hormones. After the surgery, they will do another biopsy that takes 48 hours, to make sure they did not get a false negative on the frozen section. If that biopsy is positive, then they will remove the rest of her thyroid and the hormones, etc.kick in.

I am praying and hoping no malignancy is found. But, since she *is* having surgery and having half her thyroid removed, I would like to know what to expect in terms of her immediate needs coming home after the surgery. I want to be able to help as best I can and not hit and miss. The plan is for my son to look after her and I will look after the baby, the house, the cooking, etc. But I want to maximize my time there.

Can anyone help me as far as her immediate coming-home post-surgery needs will be?

so much.

Now to go out and shovel about 10 inches of snow from my walk. I'm in Eastern Canada and we're having a major snowstorm. It seems to be snowing all the time these days.
    posting.php?mode=reply&f=28&t=341#
    for any help you can give me.

Diane

Country
    England

Hi Diana you have hope and thats what we all need!!

Im glad you found my post useful, I tried to find you the info you needed!!

I bet its freezing where you are!! watch out for those polar bears lol

Keep us updated and I hope everything works out good

When is your DIL having her surgery??
    Its a very routine surgery she will probably spend the night in hospital but should be ok to come hom next day!.
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

I'm laughing because you're so right. It's COLD here! It's well below zero, with a cold wind and a whole lot of snow. It's so cold that walking outside is terrible. Even with a wool hat down over your forehead, your head gets so cold that it hurts. Oh well, the Winter solstice has passed and the days are getting longer. Thank God for little favours.

My daughter-in-law has an appointment with her surgeon on the 31st. He will discuss the details and give her a date for the surgery. Then, I'll know when I'm taking a plane and going down to help the family.

One night in the hospital is not bad at all because I know her baby will miss her. He's very close to his dad as well, so taking care of him won't be a problem, but he's used to having his mom around and now she'll be gone.

I'm anxious for this to be over. I know she is too. Just having you to "talk" to it such a help. I feel very alone right now, even if I do talk to her and my son every day. Thank God for Vonage lines!

again for your support. I really need it right now.

Diane

Country
    England

If I were you, try and forget about it for now enhoy christmas and be there for your family when the time comes! You cant do anything else, I know you will feel helpless, but dont feel hopeless!!

I have a feeling your worries will be over come the new year!! xms

I'm so anxious for the New Year.

And you're right, we have to hope and keep on hoping. My daughter-in-law is an amazing person and her attitude is excellent, which is at least half the battle.

I'll keep you posted as soon as she knows when the surgery will take place.

for your support and I hopoe you have a wonderful Christmas with your loved ones and your new son. I hope you post more pictures of him. Children are the best!

Diane

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense