User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DDA Guidelines and Thyroid Condition

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Angry DDA Guidelines and Thyroid Condition

It appears that thyroid related conditions should be covered under DDA guidelines

I have looked around, asked around and no one is sure how DDA is applicable to the patients with thyroid condition. For the next week or so, I'll be conducting a research and will try to find out all the relevant material, articles or links to the website so we can finish this business once for all

Please feel free to add your comments, experiences or any information you may have relevant to the subject which will be useful to me and others.

DDA - The Definition

For the purposes of the Act:

* substantial means neither minor nor trivial
    * long term means that the effect of the impairment has lasted or is likely to last for at least 12 months (there are special rules covering recurring or fluctuating conditions)
    * normal day-to-day activities include everyday things like eating, washing, walking and going shopping
    * a normal day-to-day activity must affect one of the 'capacities' listed in the Act which include mobility, manual dexterity, speech, hearing, seeing and memory

Some conditions, such as a tendency to set fires and hay fever, are specifically excluded.

People who have had a disability in the past that meets this definition are also covered by the scope of the Act. There are additional provisions relating to people with progressive conditions.

The DDA 2005 amended the definition of disability. It ensured that people with HIV, cancer and multiple sclerosis are deemed to be covered by the DDA effectively from the point of diagnosis, rather than from the point when the condition has some adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.

Source : Definition of Disability

The Disability Discrimination Act (DDA)

Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

Re: DDA Guidelines and Thyroid Condition

yes I have heard this too, not sure what it means though, how bad the condition is to claim, not that I need to claim.

Keep us informed Sid, it will be good to know
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    United States

SiD,

I know that congenital hypothyroidism in infants not caught early enough, directly causes them retardation both mental and physical and many are left with defects due to it.
    I have seen cases over the years of adults who had severe untreated hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism and they sustained permanent damage to their neuro-system or heart function and some of them are now on disability due to that. It's not that common but happens.
    Some thyroid patients who develop comorbid conditions from it also reach the point of becoming disabled, such as those who develop diabetes, fatty liver hepatitis or other autoimmune diseases from it. Other patients have co-occurring Fibromyalgia or Chonic Fatigue Syndrome (I have CFS) that doesn't correct with thyroid treatments and they're placed on disability for that reason.
    I came very close at one point, applying for disability but was also undertreated at that time (for more than 2 years). Not long after I saw improvement so dropped the idea. Here in the US, disability cannot be applied for unless you're diabled in ability to work for six months. The amount the disabled receive under the program, is very low and they can usually only get by is a spouse is employed or they have been taken in by family they can live with.
    These points may not actually be in the area you are researching but thought I would mention them, in case they apply to any area you are searching on the subject.
    (Avatar pic is of me & wife, 2008)

Junior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

In 2005 I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism- graves disease. By 2006, despite medical intervention I became severely ill and unable to undertake many day to day activities/tasks at home and at work. Although my manager agreed to make adjustments to help me cope at work my other work colleagues were very unsupportive and resentful.

It became so bad that I was bullied into continuing to do tasks that were making my symptoms worse. In the end I had to take sick leave for two months. When I went back to work my colleagues continued to make things very difficult for me, and my manager did nothing to stop this. In desperation I contacted the disability rights commission for advice.
    I was informed that as my health condition (affecting me both physically and mentally) was long term and severely affected my ability to undertake normal day to day activities I was covered by the DDA and my employer had a responsibility to make reasonable adjustments to my working conditions and environment.

Following this discussion I arranged an appointment to see occupational health. I saw a wonderful doctor who was very supportive and helped me to make formal changes to my role at work. These included reducing the number of home visits and being more work place based, taxis to and from home visits paid for by work (I canít drive), having more autonomy over my workload and client appointments and having flexible working hours. The doctor also confirmed that I was covered by the DDA and my workplace had to make these adjustments.

Our area manager became involved and in a meeting my manager and colleagues were made aware of the organisationís equality policies and accountability in regards to disability discrimination and equal opportunities. Things at work finally improved and I continued to see occupational health every three months until December 2007.
    I had a total thyroidectomy in September 2007 and I now have hypothyroidism so I have a whole load of different symptoms to cope with. However I was told that I am still covered by the DDA and if I have any other problems at work I can be referred back to occupational health. I do have to point out that being covered by the DDA does not mean that you are eligible for disability benefits.

The DDA refers to equality and discrimination legislation and not welfare benefit or tax legislation. The Disability Rights Commission closed in 2007 and has been replaced by the Equality and Human Rights Commission and you can receive information and advice on the DDA on their website or you can ring their helpline. For information regarding disability benefits/premiums/credits you will need to contact the DWP, HM revenue and customs and local council (for housing/council tax benefit).

Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

Hi and to the site the brg!

How awful for you to be bullied during your illness, I was bullied by my friends for being 'slow and dopey' I realise this was down to my Thyroid function! I know what its like to be bullied so can understand what a stressful situation it must of been for you!

I cannot fathom how yo must of felt to be told your existing symptoms would dissapear only to be replaced with new symptoms although managable with meds! good news/bad news scenario! terrible!

Im glad the system stuck by you throughout though and offered advice and support for you when you needed it the most! some comfort for you at least! Its so important to have a good doctor, Im glad you had a supportiing doctor throughout!!

for sharing your story with us!! thumbup
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

Baby Moderator Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Posting AwardDiscussion Ender

Country
    UK

I have to be on disability as I have the lot, CFS, hypo, Hashis autoimmune with lovely vitiligo to boot and who knows what else they have missed. Cannot do much for myself at all due I think to the years of not being investigated properly and I believe that is still the case.
    luv Dawnx
    ''If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.'' The Cheshire Cat, Alice in Wonderland

Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Country
    UK

hi everyone
    i remember when i was being bullied as soon as i started infant school right through to finishing school completely kicked till my legs black & blue & been called horrible names like rem, mong spastic all because i've been in a special needs with been behind with my years because i'm born with no thyroidgland but i just learn't to get on left school had jobs as carer at a few places but were i work now is the best job i've ever had i started there as carer with people with challenging behaviours but i got so stressed it got far to much my manager is brilliant & he was amazed about me having no thyroid plus he looked after youngsters with thyroid problems & he thinks i'm amazing at what i'm doing now which is the laundry hard job but i'm happy and manager is happy with my work. but the only thing i worry about now is since i turned 40 i have trouble with my balance and get unsteady and shakey at times depending what kind of day i have so a few weeks ago i treated myself to a second hand mobility scooter i travell to work on it then i'm on my feet all day in the laundry and walking up and down the stairs putting it all away does that sound stupid cos it does worry me at time and i get paranoid and anxious by what people think or say about me but i am so pleased that i found your organisation that will make a huge difference
    i'm sorry i've been going on a bit i just opening up for the first time to some lovely people who understands good luck to you all and please please keep in touch because it will be lovely to hear from you

lots of love xx

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense