User Tag List

Thread: Hi There and WOW!

Junior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Hi There and WOW!

It's amazing that there are so many of us out there! I've never really "sought out" a forum for thyroid issues before. I'm 41 years old and live in Reno, Nevada. I've just become very frustrated with the medical world so I feel I need to turn elsewhere. About 12 years ago I started to have severe panic attacks, I had never been an anxious person prior to this, it all just kind of happened out of the blue. I looked up some information and I had almost every symptom of hyperthyroidism. Of course my GP regularly checked my TSH levels and they were always in the normal range, of course in this period they had tried my on all kinds of anti-depressants, etc. I even went to a couple of therapists, all of which told me I was NOT depressed. 5 years ago I went to the dentist to have a filling replaced and noticed I couldn't breath when my head was tilted back. You couldn't tell when my head was in a normal position but when I tilted my head back you could see this huge bulgy thing sticking out of my neck. So back to the doctor I went. They did 2 biopsies and couldn't determine if it was cancerous or not so they surgically removed 90% of it. It was 7cm long and wrapping around my windpipe, when they removed it they warned me that I might lose my voice (luckily this didn't happen). Since they took it out and put me on replacement (75mcg of Levoxyl and 10mcg of Cytomel) I ended up with a condition called SVT, I'd get a palpitation then my heart rate would speed up to 170 bpm for no particular reason. I've since had that corrected by eblasion. The doctor's claim that I'd probably had it since birth and never really noticed it (I think it was a result of thyroid craziness) since then, I quit smoking back in July. I've actually felt pretty good since then. Until this past week I started having palpitations pretty bad again. I went back to the GP (of course my EKG was normal!) and we are hoping that my levels are just out of whack from not smoking. I had blood drawn today, I should know in the next day or two. I've also wondered if anybody has tried the synthetic vs. Armour, which did they like better? I'm also wondering if what the medical world considers is the normal range is really normal for everybody?

Holly

Administrator Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

Re: Hi There and WOW!

to the site Holly! Its great when you realise your not alone anymore isn't it!!

You certainly have been on a little journey haven't you!! At least you dont possibly have Cancer!!

The road to recovery starts now thumbup

I have tries Thyroxine and didnt feel 100%, and then tried Armour on its own, and felt 70%, then I tried armour and thyroxine, and now feel great!! Its all about patience and experimenting, when you feel good, its time to stop!!

Keep us updated, we are glad you found us!!!!!
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Holly and

You would be shocked to know how many people are there with thyroid problems. A lot of people actually don't even have a clue!!! These forums are started and contributed by the people who are in the same situation as you are and we all want to help others out suffering from it.

I sometimes consider myself lucky that even I am in pretty bad situation, I no where come near to other people when they tell us their stories. It's shocking to see how GPs ignore patient's symptoms and label it either depressed or fully healthy!!

160 bpm....dear God.....not being a doctor, I can surely see there has to be something wrong when heart is running double the speed of what it should be. Mine is usually b/w 70 to 80bpm and I go up to 160bpm in the gym.

How do you check your bpm? Do you have anything digital or you check your pulse? Also does your heart feel like pounding and jumping out of the chest?

TSH is just never a good indication of everything. You have to check FT4 and FT3 levels as well. In most hyper cases, your FT4 may be normal but your FT3 will be quite high. TSH may be low or normal that's why FT4 and FT3 is carried out along with TSH.

A lot of problem occurs when thyroxine is not converted into active hormone of T3 and it just builds up in your blood. That way you are actually Hypo with Hyper symptoms hence people jump to Armour and they feel better.

Normal range differs from Labs to Labs and countries to countries. In the UK, you can see the ranges on this thread.

typical-test-reference-ranges-uk-t13.html

I don't think, US is very different either but almost everyone with TSH higher than 2 would feel hypothyroid.

Junior Member Achievements:

Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by SiD
    Hi Holly and

How do you check your bpm? Do you have anything digital or you check your pulse? Also does your heart feel like pounding and jumping out of the chest?

I don't think, US is very different either but almost everyone with TSH higher than 2 would feel hypothyroid.
    When it went up to 160 I was on an event monitor the cardiologist gave me. I had to wear it until I had "events' then hit a button and it would record the event. Tomorrow I am getting a holter monitor, they are going to monitor me for 24 hours. The palpitations that I've been experiencing since last Friday feel like they are jumping out of my chest. I had an EKG run yesterday and my rythm was normal then, my BP was somewhat low though (110/60). I currently take 10mcg of Cytomel for the T3. This whole thing is just so frustrating . I hate feeling this way particularly at work.
    I'm amazed at how few doctors around here address this, especially for where I live. From some of the research I've done, Nevada has the highest thyroid problem rate in the country (most likely due to the nuclear testing done in the 60's), Las Vegas is worse but we live 400 miles north of Las Vegas so getting Endo care up north has been a challenge. We have very few endo's and the ones we do have are very hard to get into.

Oh and thanks for all the friendly feedback!

Senior Member Achievements:

Country
    United States

LostinReno,

Sorry to be coming in late to say "hi & welcome!"
    Thank you also for sharing your thyroid history with us. Our personal stories are a great way to learn more.
    (Avatar pic is of me & wife, 2008)

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense