User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thyroid problem or not?

thyroid problem or not?

Hello,

I have been suffering from mild to moderate depression and concentration problems and other mystery symptoms for 10 years. Antidepressants and other therapies have been ineffective. I believe that my thyroid could be causing my problems.

One of my recent blood tests showed elevated autoimmune markers and i always have cold hands/feet and feel cold very easily. My sensitivity to cold started when all my other symptoms appeared...

My symptoms are:

heart pounding qnd feel like my chest is exploding (even when i am not anxious)
    feeling anxious, mildly agitated, nervous, restless etc for no apparent reason, chronic depression, digestive disturbances, mood swings, very irritable, brain fog, unable to focus, fatigued, always cold etc...

I DO NOT gain weight easily and i am quite thin however. I can eat a lot without gaining weight. When
    i don't have the time and forget to eat enough, i usually lose weight quickly and look unhealthy.(too thin)

I do feel that my symptoms that are very similiar to hyperthyroid but I also some hypo symptoms (feeling cold, fatigued, depressed)

Is it possible to have both hypo and hyper symptoms?

My recent thyroid test came back normal. At least that's what the doc said. (I heard the doctors often do not know how to interpret the results)

Here are the results:

T3: 4.20 | Range: 2.30-4.20
    T4: 1.91 | Range:0.98-1.76
    TSH:4.909| Range: 0.35-5.5

What do you think? Is there any sign of thyroid malfunction?

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Re: thyroid problem or not?

Hello zrico

Depression come with hypothyroidism and it can be due to hyperthyroidism. There are a lot of symptoms which overlap for under or overactive thyroid.

Is it possible to have both hypo and hyper symptoms?
    The short answer is YES and you may be suffering from both Hashimoto's and Graves' disease. Mary Shomon has written an excellent articles on that, have a read and it will clear a lot of things for you.

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/hypothyr...poandhyper.htm

I am in a very similar situation like you in terms of weight. No matter whatever I eat, how much eat, I put on very little weight. You can partially blame genetics for that but I do loose weight very quickly as well. Dr. Rind says that if you have adrenal fatigue, you are unlikely to gain or loose weight. In my case, adrenals are stressed out so I know the reason for that.

You thyroid tests are normal but not optimum IMO. I am assuming T3 and T4 in quoted results are actually FT3 and FT4. T3 and T4 are different to FT3 and FT4. I think your FT3 is high and so is your TSH. This may indicated something wrong with the pituitary or having both Hashi and Graves'.

Doctors are unlikely to help you further as they look the results sheet and if these are within the reference range, they tell you you are ok. They don't want to listen to all your symptoms and blame it to age and stress in your daily life. You have to do your own research and guide your doctor if you want to be healthy like before.

Are you taking any medicine for thyroid at all or any anti-depression pills?

Junior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thank you very much for the reply. Yes it is FT3/FT4. I am not taking any medication.
    How can find out if i have hashimotos or graves disease? Is checking for thyroid antibodies the way to go?

VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Yes you can do a thyroid antibodies test. I think Jim has a bit more information on antibodies so he should be able to help you out.

If you have antibodies(I think you should have) then they put your thyroid gland in pull and push situation making you swing between hyper and hypo and sometimes even better over period of time.

Your FT3 is quite high...it's actually just at the border line. It is active hormone and can give you hyper like feelings like pounding heart, sweats, shivering etc but then your TSH is very high in value thought it is within so-called reference range but it's not good.

On the other side, your FT4 is even higher. Are you in the US or in the UK as we have different units here for the FT3 and FT4 (typical-test-reference-ranges-uk-t13.html) This means you may be hyper but if your FT4 goes up, your TSH should automatically come down if you were simple hyper. Having high TSH alongside high FT4 and FT3 means there is something else to it as well.

A lot of people feel well when their TSH is just over 1 or sometimes 2. Mine had been 3.5 and I felt like hypo but it becomes very difficult to convince doctors and they only look at the numbers and not the symptoms.

Just hang on here for a little bit and someone should be give you a bit more information on Antibodies as I have very limited knowledge in this area

Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

welcome zrico, looks like you found us in the nick of time!!

Sid has said it all, I just wanted to say hello
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

Junior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Having high TSH alongside high FT4 and FT3 means there is something else to it as well
    What could this be?

Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

they equal hyper signs!
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense