User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding Armour to Thyroxine?

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Adding Armour to Thyroxine?

Hello All,

I have decided to give Armour a try from next week so doing my research a little bit in advance. Currently I am taking 200mcg of Thyroxine and have plans to cut back to 150mcg and add a little bit of Armour in it (Probabaly 1/4 Grain to start with).

I've looked at this guide here

http://www.drumlib.com/dp/000016.htm

But question is, do I just cut back to 150mcg and add 1/4 grain straight away increasing to 1/2 over a few days? I am planning to take it in the morning with my thyroxine dosage (May be under the tongue like everyone does).

Please share your experience of switching as I am still unwell after being on cortef and thyroxine after a while.

Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

Re: Adding Armour to Thyroxine?

Hey sid, I followed that guide, and sent myself hypo, if I were you, I would do that for a few days, and if I felt no better, I would add some more Armour, try not to reduce your thyroxine too much!! I wish I had listened to my body better, I reckon I set my recovery back by 12 months!!

Be very careful and listen to your body, if you start to feel bad, add some Thyroxine, or Armour!!

9 times outta 10, you probably aren't on enough Thyroxine anyways!!

Keep us all updated with how your feeling!!

Good luck SiD
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

I was thinking exactly the same.

I was on 150mcg two weeks back and even after adding cortef, there were no major improvements so I thought let's add more thyroxine and see if it helps.

Now I am on 200mcg and still feel that I may have to slightly increase it again. The I was like, why not add Armour Thyroid and see what happens.

Gonna keep you guys posted. for the tip thumbup Ric

Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

good idea, maybe add some Armour without reducing your Thyroxine, and see how you feel, if you feel hyper, reduce, if not, see how it goes!!

Good look mate!
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    United States

SiD, your plan is similar to how Dr.s switch patients to Armour. They will cut the current brand down a bit and and the new brand at about the same rate the other is reduced. It's not as easy when your switching from a T4 to combo T4/T3 and even a little difficult for Dr.s. What Ric suggested sounded good.
    You may be planning to continue both at a mix that works well for you and sounds like you are approaching it with the needed caution. I know with your past Graves'-hyperthyroidism treated, you know how to monitor for hyperthyroid symptoms.
    Let me add that I know from the past few years corresponding with a lot of patients in the UK that it is difficult to get some of the medications and in fact is difficult to get some tests ordered as well. I feel for you in that respect because I would be frustrated and would carefully resort to self-trails just as you are.
    I'm fortunate in that my Dr. here in the US has enough confidence in my judgement to allow me to tweak my own dose. She knows I will get the scheduled blood retests needed to monitor my replacement therapy and knows I can recognize over-treatment as well as under-treatment.
    We also have HealthCheckUSA here, where we can order our own blood tests and recieve results direct from them, with no Doc visit required. I've resorted to getting tests between Dr. visits for same reasons stated above and this too my Doc works with me on. I wish you guys had some of these options there in the UK and hopefully will begin happening soon. In the mean time I certainly understand your involvement in your own treatment and wish you the best with it!
    (Avatar pic is of me & wife, 2008)

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Right.....Two days on 200mcg thyroxine plus 1/2 grain Armour.

First Day (Thursday 11/12/2008) - Felt weird all day. Wasnt quite sure what was it but felt different from everyday. Not very good feeling but not very bad either. Temperatures were absolutely spot on for the day and didnt go below 98 degrees at all (Otherwise I keep jumping b/w 97.0 to 98.2) Blood Pressure were close to normal (106/64) so couldn't say it was a bad day

Second Day (Friday 12/12/2008) - Very nice day. Felt warm and nice for the whole day at work as well. Temperature like before were above 98 and blood pressure was 114/66 so still is a good sign. Felt very tired at the evening and slept around 8 o'clock. Got up at 2 and then couldnt sleep. Had to muck around for 2 hours before I was asleep again to get up at 9 was late for work! Boss wasn't impressed.

Third Day (Friday 13/12/2008)
    - Pending

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Good luck - hope it works!

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence