User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anxiety in hypothyroid conditions

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    United States

Anxiety in hypothyroid conditions

Anxiety can occur in hypothyroid conditions and not hyperthyroid conditions only.
    Here are research links that state this:

"We have found that subclinical thyroid dysfunction increases the anxiety of patients whether hyperthyroid or hypothyroid. ...
    Mood changes especially anxiety due to subclinical thyroid dysfunction may have an important impact on the patient's quality of life."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15256776

"The link between thyroid autoimmunity (antithyroid peroxidase autoantibodies) with anxiety and mood disorders in the community: a field of interest for public health in the future ...
    The study seems to suggest that individuals in the community with thyroid autoimmunity may be at high risk for mood and anxiety disorders. The psychiatric disorders and the autoimmune reaction seem to be rooted in a same (and not easy correctable) aberrancy in the immuno-endocrine system."

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...i?artid=516779

" A case control study on psychiatric disorders in Hashimoto disease and euthyroid goitre: not only depressive but also anxiety disorders are associated with thyroid autoimmunity"
    http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articl ... id=1308833

"In a study of patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditis, anxiety was a prominent initial symptom at the time that the condition was diagnosed."

http://www.drrichardhall.com/anxiety.htm
    (Avatar pic is of me & wife, 2008)

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Re: Anxiety in hypothyroid conditions

These are some useful links Jim. I've been hyper and hypo and I feel, either way it's not good. Some of the symptoms are not the same, but anxiety, odd palpitations, headache, dry skin and few others are some symptoms which come with any thyroid condition.

It's such an important gland in the body, everything is depending on it and until recently, even I didn't take that seriously

Administrator Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

for that Jim! When I was first diagnosed with Hypothyroidism, I questioned my Doctor if my Anxiety was linked to my Thryoid problems. He dismissed it saying Anxiety is normally associated with Hyperthyroidism. I now know he was wrong, and to this day probably misleading fellow sufferers!

There ya go
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

Member Achievements:

Country
    Great Britain

Hello

Well, I am sure I was close to loosing it last year due to my thyroid I became very paranoid and was even hullucinating when i had that onset of weakness last year. I couldnt belive I felt so ill and started thinking I was in a big scam with the nhs trying to make me out to be a hypocondriac or something..

I was close at some points to doing something very silly which is not me at all, depression and anxiety has definatley been caused by my hormones but made worse by doctors not helping me..

I think the candida is also a part in the depression as well as when i stick on the diet I dont feel as bad.

I went back to the gym Saturday and although I cant do alot that really helps me mentally. I think as long as you dont stress your adrenals it does help to try and do a little. I just did some walking on the treadmill and some very light weights.

I was a personal trainer before all this and I am going to use this experience to help people with thyroid problems once Iam better with my personal training I think.

Senior Member Achievements:

Country
    UK

Ha ha! I am hypo but have been having the early morning anxiety events that I used to get when I was hyper, and before - even tho' I am a bit slower to react to immediately stressful situations - like a car crash - I am calm, calm, calm, - I still get knotted up and cannot sleep - I think it is anticipatory stress. Obviously it is irrational but it is real to me.
    Quite a few symptoms of hyper can be experienced, I think. The docs need to listen to the individual. It may seem something or nothing to someone else but the pain and foggy headed-ness can be quite debilitating.
    Keep warm and well, Anni

Junior Member Achievements:

Country
    Australia

Great thread!

I was diagnosed with a multi nodular goiter about 5 years ago...at the time I showed no symptoms. 2 years later the panic and anxiety started but my Endo would not link it to my thyroid disease...tut tut Doctor!

I had my thyroid removed 2 years ago and it wasnt until I read the histology report that I discovered I had Hashimotos (tut tut again Doctor!).

I was on T4 only medication for 2 years but things didnt really improve too much with the anxiety. I did feel as though I had been unplugged from the electric socket for a little while but then things started to go down hill again. My FT4 was rising (still with the dreaded 'normal') and my FT3 was dropping...classic signs of not converting efficiently. Sadly my endo didnt pick up on this...and so...I sacked him!

I now see a fantastic GP and have switched over to natural thyroid - no more T4 only for me! She also discovered that my FT3/RT3 ratio was pretty dire which explained once again why I felt the way I did...yes I had some FT3 in my system, but the RT3 was blocking it from reaching my cells!! I'm also taking Hydrocortisone to take the stress off my fatigued adrenals (very common in hypothyroid patience).

Anyway...anxiety and thyroid...totally agree...big big big connection!!

Great forum thanks

Rachelle

Junior Member Achievements:

Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by tygwyn
    Great thread!

II now see a fantastic GP and have switched over to natural thyroid - no more T4 only for me! She also discovered that my FT3/RT3 ratio was pretty dire which explained once again why I felt the way I did...yes I had some FT3 in my system, but the RT3 was blocking it from reaching my cells!! I'm also taking Hydrocortisone to take the stress off my fatigued adrenals (very common in hypothyroid patience).

Anyway...anxiety and thyroid...totally agree...big big big connection!!

Great forum thanks

Rachelle
    Excuse me as I am a noobie to this forum. What is the difference between FT3 and RT3? It was bad enough I had to litterally tell my endo to check my T3 from the little bit of research I've done? Now I find out there are differences? I've been having huge anxiety & palpitation issues since I've quit smoking. I had my blood tested today but I can about guarantee it wasn't this in depth.

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense