Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti D's and hypo

Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Anti D's and hypo

Hello

Can anyone give their expirience of coming off anti d's whilst hypo.

Regards

David

Administrator Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

Re: Anti D's and hypo

Hey David! How are you and your son?

My experience, I felt ten times better. Yeah the depression was surpressed but because of the type of ANti D tablets I was on, it caused me to become even more fatigued. I read that this particular drug affected my Thyroid lol, thanks GP for thinking of that

Ive been on others and TBH I always felt better off them than on them!!

I have also been stopped immedietly without weaning, and felt instantly better
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Hi David,

I was told by my Endo that I may be depressed hence not getting recovered but I knew it was something to do with the hormones.

In various books I have read, they say depression comes with thyroid so there is a chance that you'll need to deal with it but if you continuing to take the anti-depressant, you'll get other health issues.

To be honest I have never tried it, even at times when I thought I was seriously depressed. I knew the phase was temporary and I had to deal with it.

Not quite sure what is your case but if you have depression and taking pill, you better check your hormones levels checked as well

Senior Member Achievements:

Country
    United States

In my case, the first Doc I went to with thyroid symptoms told me my symptoms were emotional. I disagreed and even suggested testing for thyroid disease but she wouldn't order tests but handed me a script for an AntD, Ant-Anxiety and a beta-blocker.
    I filled these prescripts but didn't start them for a few days because I wanted blood tests first which I had done through a different dr. office. Once blood was drawn I started the meds and didn't hear from the blood results for over a month (results were lost then relocated). My tests showed hypothyroidism (elevated TSH & lflagged-low T-3 uptake).
    Knowing thyroid med would help my symptoms I weaned off the antiD and had pretty terrible withdrawal even with only being on them for maybe 2 months. I had these strange brain-zaps that felt like electrical surges from my brain and severe increased anxiety. My thyroid med did the trick in relieving my depression and anxiety but I do believe some patients need the extra help of an antiD or anti-anxiety drug if replacement therapy doesn't resolve them.
    I'm going to go offline for a bit but when I return, I'm going to post a few short med research quotes that link anxiety as well as deprression to autoimmune hypothyroidism. The point being that anxiety happens with hypo and not just hyper and can occur with or without depression in some patients.
    (Avatar pic is of me & wife, 2008)

Member Achievements:

Country
    UK

for the posts.
    It's my son that has the thyroid problem and has been on psychotic drugs for thee years. Two years ago we diagnosed him as hypo and since then have been in a major dispute with the psychiatrists. My sons depression was so bad he just couldn't deal with anything let alone his illness.

A year ago we managed to get him to an endo and as a result his thyroxine has been increased. 6 months ago he started for the first time to show a slow small inprovement so much so that he was able to actually read about the anti' ds and thyroids. He decided thyen that he was coming off them no matter what anyone said and for the past six months has been slowly weaning himself off, contrary to psychiatric advice. Two weeks or so ago he finally managed to come off the last one. He has suffered quite extreme withdrawal at times but persevered and is now off them. Hopefully for good. It has therefore been very difficult to tell whether the improvement is from coming off psychotic drugs or the increase in thyroxine. Might get a better view when he has his next blood test in January.

There is in my opinion absolutely no doubt whatsoever that the psychiotic drugs made him considerably worse. If the medical staff had bothered to monitor him correctly as recomended by the manufacturers of the drugs this would have been obvious to them.

If anyone would like some quotes to show their dr to convince them of the connection between thyroids and mental health go to the Royal College of Psychiatrists site and punch in the word thyroid. You will get over 70 links.

Hi Ric hows you young son ?

Regards

David

Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

Hi David, my son is doing really well thanks, growing in size and experience day by day!! It is amazing, I just hope he doesnt have any of the problems I have
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

Member Achievements:

Country
    UK

Hi Ric

Glad to hear he is doing well. They should have tested him at birth for thyroid problems. It is something that they should do now as a matter of course. So hopefully he won't.

Knowing what I know now I think I would have had my son tested at regular intervals as it seems that it runs in my family. Better safe.

Regards

David

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense