User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Thyroid story......so far

Administrator Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

My Thyroid story......so far

My problems started when I was 18. I had been going back and forth to my GP for stress reasons, constantly worried, I had IBS this was discovered after an endoscopy. Before I turned 21 I had been on 4 different anti depressants. Had an ECG and countless blood tests. (Never Thyroid) I was labbelled as a Hyperchondriac.

When I was 21 I got married, I was happy, just been to weightwatchers and lost 2 stone, which bought me down to a reasonable weight. " weeks before my wedding I started to put on weight half a stone in one week. My weight watcher leader put it down to muscle gain. So did I.. during this time, I had also been doing an Anxiety management programme, as I had a fear or soiling myself, everytime, I left the house, I would need th toilet. so had to go back. It was counter productive really. So for my wedding, I had over come m my fears, lost weight. I felt good in myself..

My wedding although nerve racking, went without a hitch, and to this day, is the best decison, of my life..The Honeymoon wasnt so great. I was having a great time, and then got an infected Mosquito bite, which led me to take Pennicillin. Little did I know after taking my first pill, I would be going crazy, thinking I was bout to die!! Luckily my sister in law was getting married out there, to a fellow turkish man. He phones up a doctor, and asked what the problem was, everyone was saying I was dehydrated. But I wasnt, after hours of feeling like I was going to die, imagining myself falling into a coffin (yeah I now very dark thoughts) I went to the hospital and got treatment for a sever allergic reaction to penniccilin. I spent the whole night clutching to my IV drip stand, holding on for dear life..

The next day was just as bad, instead of the drip stand, I was lying on a sunbed clutching onto the parrasol. I felt that if I let go I would die!! A few days before travelling home, I had this really vivid dream , that the plane was going to crash, this lead to even more severe panic. I thought of other ways to get home, but none were viable. In the end, I put my life in the airlines hands and got on the plane. It was early morning flight. So my wife slept all the way home, we had been up for 24 hours as it was.. That flight was the scariest 4 hours of my life. As you already know the flight didnt crash. I cried my heart out when that plane landed. It was such relief!!!

We landed at 7am I went to bed when I got home, and managed about 2 hours, when I thought I was having a heart attack, I went to A and E at around 10pm, on the night. I had all the usual tests and came back 'normal' . between this time and 2004 I went to A and E around twelve times. All the times sent home with your ok.

After many many trips to the doctors, once twice in one day thinking I was going to die, I went in, and said, Im not leaving until you give me every test going, something is wrong with me,. Fortuantly it wasnt my usual doctor, it was a locum. He gave me every blood test going, and surprise surpise I was hypo. By how much, I dont know.

There was some clues along the way, which the doctor asked me about when I went back to be told. I had lots hair, horse voice, as well as all the mental health problems.. tiredness etc etc..

2004 I was told you are HYPOTHYROID!! Thank god, thank god something is wrong, it can be sorted now!! (How naive I was lol)

2005, after treatment, and still feeling hypo, I went into see a Therapist, (she saved my life) I tried to kill myself, a few times, even ended up in a Psych ward for a week. I saw my therapist for 3 years, and grew so much from her. And was finally able to see the world like 'normal' people see the world.

2006, I started to have erectile dysfuntion, and was given Testosterone injections, little did I know it was a symptom of my Thyroid disease. I stopped them when I had an episode of what is called roid rage, and went psychotic, apparantly there was a mix up I was suppose to be given the injections once every three weeks, my GP thought every week.

2007, I saw an endocrinologist (3 years after diagnosis) This was after I was told I had no sperm. He queried a possible tumour on my pitutary and said I needed an MRI. He said that all your Hormones are out of sync, he said, it could be down to the Testosterone injectioned making your Pituitary gland lazy, it could take up to 2 years for it to correct itself again..It turned out to be the latter to my relief. I had bad thoughts, and fear of a tumour for a few months. Again, I thought I was about to die!! (dark times)

After a lot of Thyroxine Increases, due to the fact, I kept telling my GP I thought, I had chronic fatigue syndrome, I went from 150mcg to 300mcg. And felt good for a while, but not great!!!

After a few more appointments and still not feeling great, I decided in December 2007 to try Armour, I was a little bit foolish, as I underdosed myself, and ended up putting 2 stone on..

2008 saw another Endocrinologist and asked her to put me on Armour which she said, if I wanted it, I would have to seek it somewhere else. Which I did, I went to see Dr Skinner, and after getting my treatment correct, I have felt great and going from stregnth to stregnth. And not a moment to soon, as I went on to become a daddy, and I now have a little boy called Joel.. He is my world!!

So alot of dark, and depressing things happened, but the important thing is I came out of it, and there is light.

It was a very long journey 4 years to be exact..

That is my story.. Hope you enjoyed it!!
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Re: My Thyroid story......so far

Gosh- 4 years! I am lucky that I have been found out so soon! Glad you are getting thru it. People say it isn't a bad condition but when you are down it is terrible. As you say - yo feel as if you are about to die. I had a bad week a few weeks ago. Now feeling a bit stronger but at times, like now, I feel awful. Waves of heavy 'weight' in my head, so tired, headache. At least I am not as young as you and some other poor people on here -I have had more than half my life hypo free!
    Keep well n keep strong! A

VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

People go through so much in their life I cannot believe

But

There is a hope and there is light at the end of the tunnel so keep it up mate and you are gonna be fully recovered one day

Good Luck

Senior Member Achievements:

Country
    UK

Yep - sooner than later!

Junior Member Achievements:

congratulations on the birth of your son, I bet you were over the moon!

Yet another terrible diary of events leading up to the discovery of this debilitating condition.

May you continue to improve!

Suzilu

Junior Member Achievements:

Country
    UK

I am so glad to see/hear so many positive stories come out of this, I've been tolerating it for years, this past week has definately been one of my worst (due to the palpitations) I go back tomorrow for my blood results. I am getting a little bit of comfort knowing that others here are going through this same thing and its "going to be ok!"
    Ric, you are an inspiratation! Truley, I've been in that mode of panic several times, it's the worst thing ever and I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy!
    Holly

Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

Quote Originally Posted by suzilu
    congratulations on the birth of your son, I bet you were over the moon!

Yet another terrible diary of events leading up to the discovery of this debilitating condition.

May you continue to improve!

Suzilu
    Thank you Suzilu!!
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense