User Tag List

Thread: Hi,another newbie here!

Junior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Hi,another newbie here!

Hiya,I have stumbled across this forum while trawling through my normal forum,and it's great to find something like this.

I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid about 4 years ago,it was my pharmacist who said it was probably thyroid,when I asked him if he thought I should take iron for my tiredness,but when I added hair loss,rough skin etc he said go for a blood test.I ve been tested before as I'm overweight and it'd always come back normal,so I was very surprised that at the age of 37 I had thyroid trouble.It took 2 years for my doctor to get me nicely balanced on thyroxine.

This time last year I had a relapse but of course I didn't put 2&2 together until I was really bad again.I kept complaining to friends how tired I was and they all kept telling me they felt the same and it was the 'Christmas' rush...I had managed to loose 4 stone during the year,through exercise and sensible eating,and an awful lot of it flew back on during my 'dip',even though my diet was still reasonably ok.That I think was the most disheartening bit.I have only managed to loose a stone since,as I don't have the same mental determination...

By the time my regular blood test came up in Jan,the doc asked me in disbelief if I'd not noticed the symptoms return,well of course it all clicked then and I felt such a fool!lol.
    I am more or less back to 'balanced',and I truly appreciate having a good doctor who makes time to explain my blood results each time,I had a different doctor this last blood test,and he was completely different and explained nothing,just said it was 'satisfactory'.So I shall make sure I get the good doctor next blood test...

I also have cold aggrevatied asthma,metal allergic eczema,vitiligo,and I suffered with neutropenia for 14 years but am now just in the 'normal' range.I have been told recently that all of these and my thyroid are probably Auto Immune Disease as they have all appeared since I reached my early twenties.

I look forward to reading all information posted on this forum.

Administrator Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

Re: Hi,another newbie here!

Hi Saggy, welcome to the board!! what forum are you off?? digital spy?

This site is full of helpful advise and help. So feel free to have a look around and ask some more questions

Im really glad your back to good health after beingh diagnosed!!

Long may it continue
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

Junior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

for the welcome ric,I am indeed from DS!

I have mentioned this website to those who have thyroid troubles in my favourite thread on DS.They have not been as lucky in being diagnosed as I was.Information is always gratefully recieved,so this website will be a great help.

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Hello saggy1 and

Glad you got a good doctor who would explain the results to you properly and now you have got it almost sorted. Thyroid medicines take a bit of time to be fully effective and sometimes it's more like a experiment to get the correct dosage.

In my case, I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism and then after having RAI, I am underactive now. I just wish I had taken half of the pill rather than full one but then again at that time, I didn't have much information on thyroid.

I am still not 100% recovered but on my way and working hard on it as I give health the top priority.

Good luck to everyone thumbup

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense