User Tag List

Poll: What do you take for Hypothyrodism?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What everyone takes for their treatment? Please Vote

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Re: What everyone takes for their treatment?

Quote Originally Posted by suzilu
    I've been on levothyroxine for 20 years, I felt better at first, but have had really bad depressions since. I have never felt well and actually didn't ever expect to feel 100%. However since I have been doing 'research' on the web, I notice that many people actually improve on armour. I would like to give it a go but have no idea where to obtain it!
    Hi suzilu and welcome to forums

20 years on thyroxine thats a very long period of time. Thyroxine performs better in a lot of individuals and I may be one of them (Havent tried Armour yet) but as we grow older, our natural hormones tend to decline hence it's better to adjust the dosage accordingly.

Did you have any blood tests recently and what were your results? All thyroid patients are supposed to do blood tests once or twice a year to make sure their levels are within reference range.

Some people do better on Armour as it contains all the natural hormones in it but be advised it has higher ratio of T4 to T3 (4:1) compared to what human body produces normally (14:1). Some doctors dont favour Armour because they think it will shut down the conversion of T4 to T3 but if you are already not converting T4 to T3, it wouldnt make any difference and Armour would be the best choice.

Hope it helps thumbup

VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    Quote Originally Posted by SiD
    Well I was on Generic Thyroxine but then convinced my GP to prescribe me Eltroxin and it's been 4 month now that I am on Eltroxin now.
    and how are you getting on with Eltroxin??

My EX GP said he could nt prescribe Brand name drugs!!
    I don't think it has made any difference but peace of mind is the product is gonna be the same rather than coming out of different companies. Currently I am treating thryoid plus adrenals and feel I am recovering quite fast

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    United States

I've always felt the best indication of how well your thyroid dose is doing, regardless of brand are blood tests. I do believe that not only TSH but FT4 and FT3 should be restested to monitor the dose at least for the first couple of follow up blood retests. If TSH is suppressed to lower normal and FT3 and FT4 are at least mid range on up to higher normal, this means your dose is doing its job. I do believe generic brands can require a higher dose than major brands do. If you take a T4 only med, the FT3 should be added to blood retests to make sure your body is also converting it into the needed T3.
    (Avatar pic is of me & wife, 2008)

Junior Member Achievements:

Country
    UK

Hi All!
    I've been taking 75mcg of Levoxyl and 10mcg of Cytomel since they took most of my thyroid out back in '04.The sad thing is that I had to request my T3 to be tested separately after doing research on the internet on why I still felt crappy. Funny, we found out that my body just doesn't like to produce it's own T3. I've felt "ok" for quite a while. I quit smoking back in July, felt pretty good for about 3 months, then started feeling really bad again. I had more bloodwork ran today to see if the lack of nicotine has thrown me out of balance again. My main question is; has anyone out there gone from this combo to the Armour? I've kind of read that people generally like the Armour better.

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Hi LostinReno,

I am not very much surprised to hear that your body doesn't covert T4 to T3 as a lot of people have the similar issue (And doctors just do not want to listen!!)

I know a few people who have switched from T4/T3 combo to Armour but didn't' feel quite well hence switched back to the combo regime. It all has to be experimented as everyone's body is going to respond differently to the different medicines.

My body responds very well to Thyroxine and my FT4 and FT3 both levels are good but I still added 1/2 grain of Armour to see if there are any further improvements.

One thing which is quite widely criticised about Armour Thyroid is "It has T4 to T3 ratio of 4:1 while the Human thyroid in natural form would have a ratio of 14:1"

So you see, if you are on combo regime and then switching to Armour may give you slight Hyper feelings. You can always come off it and go back to Combo as most of these hormones will get out of your body within days.

Junior Member Achievements:

Hi,
    Starting last September I was on 100mcg Synthroid (so was just T4). A week ago I switched to 88mcg Synthroid plus 5mcg Cytomel (so now T4 & T3) after speaking twice with my endo about how awful I felt - said my labs looked great and only needed T4, but I persisted. I decided to take the Synthroid in the morning and the Cytomel in the afternoon. So far I'm doing better than before and can really feel a difference almost immediately after taking the Cytomel. I'm actually sleeping a couple of hours at a time instead of just an hour at a time. It's still only adding up to about 5 hours a night or 6 at the best, but anything is better than the 3 hours or less a night I was getting for the past 6 months. And I actually got off the couch and cleaned the house! My kitty cats thought I was crazy when they saw me pull out the vacuum cleaner...they had thought it was gone forever!

Baby Moderator Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Posting AwardDiscussion Ender

Country
    UK

I am taking Armour.
    It has taken me nearly a year to get this far but I do feel that I am making progress. The first few months were spent struggling with my adrenal function problems and having trouble raising. I finally bit the bullet and started taking HC, but I wish I didn't need it. I had a low cortisol saliva test during before I started Armour and tried to survive it with supplements, glandulars etc. Just couldn't do it.
    I can feel myself go down when the hc is needed but sometimes I forget to take it, so my cortisol levels must vary quite a lot on their own. I am waiting for my TH to get my body in a fit enough state to repair my adrenals while they are resting and praying it works.
    I have been off the sofa today and done some tidying and cleaning. When I was on Levo only I was mostly on my back panting for air, and in agony with aches and pains, I had recurring dizzy attacks, kept bumping into things, losing my balance, gaining more weight, cold hands and feet, puffing up etc. oh and the terrible breathlessness which still is mostly there but has times when it eases a little now. I also had a strokelike scare for which I was sent to the hospital but they didn't diagnose anything, that was a very scary experience.
    I have been surviving on levo for 25 years, but I always had lingering hypo symptoms, my thyroid is very much atrophied now and I think my body was saying that was just enough. I slowly developed hypertension, vitiligo, foot problems, scoliosis, one calf bigger than other , sloppy heart valves with regurgitation, thin hair, fungal infections, high CRP, high WBC counts and more like sticky thick blood and attacks of hypoglycemia. The docs offered no solutions and just diagnosed me with CFS and left me to it.
    I am throwing myself on the mercy of God and I believe he is getting me there slowly but surely.
    The other part of my puzzle may be female hormones too so I am about to try those too.

Hope everyone here gets well. That is what we all want.

lotsa luv
    Dawnx
    ''If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.'' The Cheshire Cat, Alice in Wonderland

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense