User Tag List

Thread: TSH supression.

Junior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

TSH supression.

Hello, I'm new here and would like to ask some questions on results as you seem a knowledgable bunch!

I was diagnosed with multifocal papillary thyroid carcinoma (a long word for cancer) and had a full thyroidectomy and radiactive iodine ablation.

My doctors never tell me very much and always have a room full of patients which makes me feel guilty if I ask too many questions.

I am told my TSH should be supressed to avoid recurrence of the cancer. Right now I'm on 175mcg of thyroxine and my THS 1.57 and T4 207. What range does "supressed" fall into? Lower than that surely (to me 0 it would seem but I'm no expert).

I also have other results on Thyroglobulin and Thyroglobulin antibodies, are they something they test to establish presence/absence of cancer cells?

Many thanks for reading and hopefully answering.
    Jo

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Re: TSH supression.

Hello Jo and welcome to the forums.

You didn't say how are you feeling after going through all this? Do you feel any better after removal of thyroid and now being on thyroxine?

Just to answer your questions Re - thyroglobulin

The thyroglobulin test is primarily used as a tumor marker to evaluate the effectiveness of treatment for thyroid cancer and to monitor for recurrence. Not every thyroid cancer will produce thyroglobulin, but the most common types (papillary and follicular thyroid cancer) that arise from the follicle cells frequently do - resulting in increased levels of thyroglobulin in the blood. Thyroglobulin may be ordered, often along with a TSH test, prior to thyroid cancer treatment to determine whether the cancer is producing thyroglobulin. If it is, then it can be measured again after the completion of treatment to evaluate the effectiveness of treatment and may be ordered at intervals to monitor for cancer recurrence. Several thyroglobulin levels may be ordered over a period of time (serial samples) to look at the change in concentration. The change often provides more information than a single value.

A thyroglobulin antibody (TgAb) test may be ordered along with the thyroglobulin test. Thyroglobulin antibodies are proteins that the body’s immune system develops to attack thyroglobulin. These antibodies can develop at any time and when they are present, they interfere with the thyroglobulin test. Once they have developed, they will not go away and from that point forward, the TgAb test should be ordered with every thyroglobulin test. Thyroglobulin testing is also occasionally ordered to help determine the cause of hyperthyroidism and to monitor the effectiveness of treatment for conditions such as Grave’s disease.

Source: http://www.labtestsonline.org/unders...ulin/test.html
    TSH Supression - I would imagine the lowest possible number is 0.05 which indicates that the measurement of TSH is not possible via lab tests (That's what my number used to be and that's what I was told my my doctor as well). TSH being 1.57 is actually a very good number for people with healthy thyroids and I would imagine that you can to increase your thyroxine if you want to lower your TSH further down. Ideally you should be below 0.1 to call is suppression of any type.

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

I have just received the results of my private blood tests, as follows:

FT3 5.3 (3.0-6.2)
    FT4 17.2 (12-22)
    TSH > 0.005 (0.4 - 4.0)

I feel quite well with this reading, and no way am I hyper, however when I have my annual blood test
    next month my GP is sure to throw a wobbly - the labs will only test TSH, unless it is out of range when
    they may do the T4, no way will they do T3 which is why I had private tests. Usually I do not take any
    meds on the day of the tests, but am wondering if I should extend it to three days to minimise
    confrontation when I have the annual test.

I shall go armed with Dr. Tofts book which states "In some patients a sense of well being is only achieved
    when FT4 is raised and TSH is low or undetectable".

I would appreciate your comments.

Administrator Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

to the site sayanne!!

I was told by my Doc that a TSH as close to 0 is the way to go, as long as you feel well, on your meds.. and my doc said he has a patient with a FT4 of over a 100..

I hope you start to feel well soon

Ric thumbup
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense