Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappearing antibodies??

Junior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Disappearing antibodies??

Hiya everyone

Quite how long I have been Hypothyroid isn't at all clear either to my Endo or me although he is pretty sure this could be several years. On initial NHS base line testing I showed negative antibodies so autoimmune TD didn't look to be the issue. In the last few months my Endo has seemed to have a change of mind with this theory & now thinks at one time I would have clearly tested positive for Hashis.

Now I always imagined you had antibodies & that was it, they took up residence & did their worst . Obviously what my Endo is saying is after total destruction the antibodies then disappear - am I looking at this to logically & does anyone have other perspectives relating to the same situation please? To make matters worse I can find no reference on the web about the subject which is pretty unusual as normally you can find some indicators on most issues / subjects
    Jellybean

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Re: Disappearing antibodies??

When I was identified by Grave's Disease, they checked the blood for antibodies and the results came negative.
    This was all in NSH Hammersmith Hospital.

I went to see Dr. Barry Peatfield and according to him, it is impossible to have hyperthyroidism without antibodies or goiter.

Antibodies can go high or low in numbers that's why sometimes we have very good time and feel we fully recovered. Then when they go high in numbers, we feel worse.

Antibodies are reduced when on Thyroxine or Armour thyroid but it has to be the optimum dose.

A lot more t read on Hashi on STTM site

Junior Member Achievements:

Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by SiD

Antibodies can go high or low in numbers that's why sometimes we have very good time and feel we fully recovered. Then when they go high in numbers, we feel worse.

Antibodies are reduced when on Thyroxine or Armour thyroid but it has to be the optimum dose.
    Hiya
    Well I guess in that case my antibodies never went into remission as I never benefitted from any periods of feeling well or better - just a continuous downward spiral, eeeekkkkkk!

Although I take 100mcgs of Thyroxine now I initially tried Armour Thyroid for about 1 year beforehand which worked in as much as it got me back on my feet again but initiated terrible Hyper effects & general feelings of being unwell which I found horrendous & very frightening & in the end just couldn't live with. Interestingly I have very recently learnt of another TD sufferer who after research found that Armour Thyroid was the culprit for her high Antibody readings while taking it.
    Jellybean

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Haven t tried Armour myself but I know a lot of patients feel better on Armour. The only reason Armour wouldn't work for you and give you Hyper likes symptoms if you try it without fixing your adrenals first.

Having said that, I've got two boxes of 1/2 grain and 1 grain sitting in my fridge for some unknown reason.

Senior Member Achievements:

Country
    United States

Jellybean, these are interesting questions. The Dr. who informed you made a good point in that if your thyroid totally dies off from antibody destruction, you might see antibodies diminish. Most patients however do see ABs continue to be flagged high but fluctuate up and down for many years or lifelong. As SiD said, proper and optimal thyroid hormone therapy helps reduce antibodies for many patients while others testify to ABS going even higher while treated. In my case, on proper dose of Armour, my TG ABs cut nearly in half, from "537" to "275" after about a year on optimal dose. Some sources out there claim Armour increases ABs in some autoimmune hypothyroid patients because it causes the antibodies to attack the natural hormone and who knows, may be true in some patients. If blood retests indicate it's happening, a brand of synthetic T4 might be a better choice for these type patients.
    It seems the antibodies experience ranges among patients and there's little medical research out there on these particular aspects, although lots on thyroid ABs in general. It's a fascinating subject and one we're eager to see more research on, soon hopefully!
    (Avatar pic is of me & wife, 2008)

Senior Member Achievements:

Country
    UK

Quote:
    As I have antibodies but they are less than the Ref Range all is ok or so I was told. I thought that in a healthy body there should be NO antibodies and just that they are present at all is suspicious?! Am I right in thinking this?

A:In a word YES! Most people don't know this but if you have had the Antibodies for along time w/out treatment ...then they can disappear to nothing as there is no more living tissue ( thyroid in this case) to attack! A retired Pathology Dr told me that one! So a low level or a high level of antibodies does not reflect on the seriousness of the illness and cannot be used in isolation to dx you as 'not' having low thyroid.
    Just as a matter of interest I read the above on another forum relating to Pernicious Anaemia which is another auto immune disease

Baby Moderator Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Posting AwardDiscussion Ender

Country
    UK

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=G...sult#PPA227,M1
    Here is a fascinating book, costs hundreds of pounds and I cannot afford it but contains stuff about antibodies and lots more 'science' about Thyroid disease. Just in case anyone is feeling really sharp mentally, (I aint lol) have a browse
    Just for me please ignore the 'praises' of the TSH test
    lotsa luv
    Dawnx
    ''If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.'' The Cheshire Cat, Alice in Wonderland

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense