User Tag List

Thread: Did you know smoking can affect serum TSH levels?

Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    United States

Did you know smoking can affect serum TSH levels?

Norwegian research indicates while the exact effect of smoking on your thyroid's functioning is still a bit of a puzzle, doctors should probably be taking that into account if you're a smoker with subclinical hypothyroidism.

Serum TSH Levels in Smokers and Non-Smokers. The 5th Tromsų Study

R. Jorde1, J. Sundsfjord2
    1 Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Tromsų, Tromsų, Norway
    2 Department of Clinical Chemistry, University Hospital of North Norway, Tromsų, Norway
    Abstract

Background: Cigarette smoking has a number of effects on the thyroid gland including the development of Graves' disease and thyroid multinodularity. However, the effect of smoking on thyroid function is more uncertain.

Patients and methods: The present cross-sectional study included 6085 subjects (1744 smokers) without thyroxine medication and 441 subjects (92 smokers) with thyroxine medication that attended the 5th Tromsų study in 2001, and 460 subjects (114 smokers) that attended follow-up studies after the 5th Tromsų study. Serum TSH was measured in the 5th Tromsų study, and serum TSH, free T4, and free T3 in the follow-up studies. Comparisons between smokers and non-smokers were performed with a general linear model with age, BMI, (and gender) as covariables.

Results: Serum TSH levels were significantly lower in the smokers than in the non-smokers, both in males (1.63 ± 0.88 vs. 1.95 ± 1.04 mIU/L [p < 0.01]), and in females (1.55 ± 0.86 vs. 1.86 ± 1.01 mIU/L [p < 0.01]). Serum free T4 and free T3 levels were significantly higher in smokers than non-smokers (14.0 ± 2.2 vs. 13.4 ± 2.4 pmol/L for free T4 [p < 0.05], and 3.89 ± 0.79 vs. 3.72 ± 0.67 pmol/L for free T3 [p < 0.01], males and females analyzed together). There was no association between number of cigarettes smoked and the serum TSH level.

Conclusion: Smokers have lower serum TSH and higher free T4 and free T3 levels than non-smokers, which may be of importance when evaluating subjects with subclinical hypothyroidism.

Key words

Smoking - subclinical hypothyroidism - thyrotropine - triiodothyronine - thyroxine

Member Achievements:

Country
    Great Britain

Re: Did you know smoking can affect serum TSH levels?

I thought something was going on when i smoke. I really want to quit and keep trying but it helps with constipation!! When i ve gone with a fag for say an hour I do notice the fatige setting in big time and then my stomach starts swelling up!! My eyes look red and heavy ..

When i do smoke it causes massive anxiety and chitteryness its horribe and i just want to stop butits almost like I am a car thats being driven with no petrol..when i do..

NIce to meet you, sorry Iam new should introduce my self before i post really

Great post
    xx
    Mand

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

According to the above findings, smoking lowers your TSH but increases your FT3 and FT4 levels which may be a good thing for hypothyroid patients. This may give hyper type symptoms to people with normal range.

If I was you, I'll just stop smoking and try to fix things the other way. I dont think smoking and constipation are related in anyway but I could be wrong.

Did you try taking any digestive enzymes and Hydrochloric Acid (HCL) and with thyroid patients, they have very little HCl and digestive enzymes which causes constipation.

Member Achievements:

Country
    Great Britain

Hello,

No Ive never tried those I'll have to get some. I am giving up smoking today aswell.

, I m so fed up today I was supposed to go to london for a scan but ate some chicken was cooked in its skin so a bit fatty and have been sick to my stomach ever since.

I went to the doctors and he said dont eat chicken then!! Thy just dont want to know my doctors. I also have a lump in my groin and he said its due to a fungal infection in my right foot. Constant problems but they still say nothing wrong with my hormones AAGGHHHH

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Like I said Amanda, NHS doctor wont treat you if your lab results are within reference range. It will be very hard for you to convince them as well

I feel you must have Candida as due to Candida only you become allegric to every single food slowly if remained untreated over a longer period of time.

[quote]Candida & Overgrowth Candida

An overgrowth of Candida, a yeast that lives in your gut, can result in a serious condition called candidiasis - which causes a range of symptoms including chronic fatigue, thrush, abdominal bloating, depression and, if left unchecked, can also result in irritable bowel syndrome. If many of the symptoms and factors listed below apply to you, it is likely that you're suffering from candidiasis. Although the condition mainly affects women, men are also at risk of developing candidiasis. [/quote]

Candida Self Test - FREE
    You can try this simple test to find out.

First thing in the morning, before you put ANYTHING in your mouth, fill a clear glass with room temperature Bottled Water.

Work up a bit of saliva, then spit it into the glass of water. Check the water every 15 minutes or so for up to one hour.

If you have a potential problem, you will see strings (like legs) traveling down into the water from the saliva floating on the top, or "cloudy" saliva will sink to the bottom of the glass, or cloudy specks will seem to be suspended in the water.

If there are no strings and the saliva is still floating after at least one hour, you probably have Candida under control, and have nothing to worry about. Congratulations.

What should I do if the test shows positive? Consider taking ProBio5. It contains the probiotics to fight Candida. Try it you have nothing to lose! A lot of people don’t want to know the truth are you one of those people? Try the spit test and find out. Join other satisfied customers that are getting the benefit of this fine product.
    It's not always easy to get rid of Candida and it's gonna take fair bit of time and very good diet as Candida seem to love Sugar and Carbohydrates.

It seems like you had issues going on for quite a while and you didnt address them properly when they first appeared.

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense