User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypothyroidism Causes

Junior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Hypothyroidism Causes

The high cases of hypothyroidism (roughly 95% or more) are caused by thyroid gland. A much smaller number of cases (roughly 5% or less) are caused by other problems in the brain or pituitary gland, a small gland located beneath the brain.

The causes of hypothyroidism include:

* A condition called Hashimoto's thyroiditis

* Treatment of hyperthyroidism

* Treatment of thyroid tumors

* Radiation

* Interference from drugs

* Subacute thyroiditis

* Postpartum thyroiditis

* Problems in the pituitary gland

Senior Member Achievements:

Country
    UK

Re: Hypothyroidism Causes

Yes. Auto-immune conditions can be hereditary. My mother had hypo, my auntie pernicious anaemia. I think even though one probably would suffer eventually from something linked, that stress kick starts things usually.

Administrator Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

I personally think that my Thyroid problems started after I caught Chicken pox. Dr Skinner also said this was a possibility!

EDIT: I mean Chicken pox in adulthood
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

My family got no thyroid issue and I was identified with Hyperthyroidism....very mild though and these people took the full thyroid out

I just wish I knew what I know now and could have dealt with it better

Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

I never knew that Sid. Some doctors I really dont know why they went to medical school! and how on earth they passed the course is something else all together!!

At least now your in control, and taking pro active steps to get well!!
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

Senior Member Achievements:

Country
    UK

Is it good or bad to have the thyroid out? Mine hurts often - guess it is being gobbled up - and my voice gets husky (ok if you want to have funny telephone conversations, not good if speaking is part of your job!). If one is auto-immine n the thyroid is taken out, will other auto-immune conditions worsen, I wonder? I sometimes think I'd jump at having mine out (I wouldn't have surgery - only a very last resort) sothen at least I could be on a dosage of thyroxin forever but not haveto worry about changes in the throxin level. From my readings I can't suss this issue out. Anni

VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

No, I want my thyroid back I never wanted it out in first place even it was causing me so much issues, palpitations, anxiety and being angry but now what I have gone through since last year (I had Radioactive Iodine last October) I feel the whole hyperthyroidism experience on one side and this hypo on one side

As my levels were slightly higher, I honestly feel I could have recovered with just a bit of change in my diet. Actually my case was first identified in 2000 but even 5 years being hyper (Slightly) and without any medication, I was doing so well. No depression, very active, working hard, very clever. Now I feel like an old bugger who doesnt want to move out of his sofa while watching TV

On the other side, all individuals will have different thyroid issues even if their levels are same so one's treatment will not suit other.

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense