User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Depression have role?

Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    United States

Re: Depression have role?

There are a lot of reasons why people get depressed, most popular is the post-partum depression for those who just gave birth. Aside from that, there are a lot of factors why we get depressed, it could be work-related stress, family and financial problems, and so on. We should have a positive outlook in life so we could counter depression in first stage.

Junior Member Achievements:

Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by MattChow
    there are a lot of factors why we get depressed, it could be work-related stress, family and financial problems, and so on. We should have a positive outlook in life so we could counter depression in first stage.
    Hiya Matt!

Those examples seem to be part & parcel of modern society & with alot of work/effort/luck/help can be overcome in most cases. Depression due to long standing & chronic illness is a whole differant ball game - it's very hard,nigh impossible to remain positive when you see your health literally slipping away & no one seemingly willing to intervene. Issues such as work,family & financial problems are way down the list of priorities for many who spend years & years undiagnosed & untreated.
    Jellybean

Senior Member Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class1000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

I would like to recommend a book for reading if anyone feels depressed or feel they are losing control of their lives: 'As A Man Thinketh' by James Allen. It will also help you through your current struggles.

Senior Member Achievements:

Country
    United States

Depression is listed in most lists of symptoms for hypothyroidism on medical sources. Unfortunately, it can also be a stubborn symptom not easily resolved even with proper thyroid hormone replacement. In these cases patients may need the added help of therapy or additional medications. Many symptom lists for Graves' Disease & other hyperthyroidism conditions list depression as well as anxiety. It's also true that anxiety is experinced by many hypothyroid patients rather than, or in addition to depression.
    (Avatar pic is of me & wife, 2008)

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

I've never understood depression quite clearly.....is it when you feel like your life is over and you just dont want to do anything at all and feel sad all the time?

I must say I had a feeling like that after RAI but at that time my TSH was about 80+. Now I dont get that sort of thing as I am close to my optimum dose....though still not fully recovered.

I just feel so sad sometimes that I was very mildly hyper and these people treated me with RAI to remove the whole gland. I'd still blame myself as now a days doctor's are absolutely useless and they haven't got a bit of clue what on earth they are on about. Some doctors are good but most of them are absolutely waste of money

Member Achievements:

Country
    UK

Angry Re: Depression have role?

There is a medical paper called :-

'Hypothyroidism presenting as a psychosis. Myxedema Madness revisited.'

It shows that the relationship between hypothyroidism and mental health has been known for well over 100 years.

A search for thyroid on the 'Royal College of Psychiatrists' website gives over 70 hits referring to the relationship and a quote similar to

"Treating depression is often a matter of symantics, treat the depression and you treat the thyroid. Treat the thyroid and you treat the depression".

This quote was given in evidence to the select committee scrutinising the latest mental Health Bill. "

Add to that that T3 is necessary for the brain neurons to fire neuro transmitters and I am left in no doubt that the thyroid has a direct bearing on mental health.

Regards
    David

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Quote Originally Posted by SiD
    I've never understood depression quite clearly.....is it when you feel like your life is over and you just dont want to do anything at all and feel sad all the time?
    Yes, this is well stated. There is a big push here in the states for a pill that acknowledges that "depression hurts." Yet there is no mention of why it can hurt. The thyroid link might be the general populations missing link to this issue.
    There are many different types of depression. The severity of which might ebb and flow in the course of an hour or a week. Often time depression or the blues are triggered by significant life events, eg. loss of a spouse, job, home. Then there are those who suffer from recurrent suicidal ideation. The preference for not living is simply always out weighed by the wish to cease. Standing next to Victoria Falls either does not move one at all or in some makes one want to jump.

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense