User Tag List

Thread: Home Version Thyroid Test

Site Donator Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsTagger First Class

Country
    England

Home Version Thyroid Test

Is there a way to test the health of your thyroid without expensive lab tests? Its something I feel should be more easily accessible to everyone like how people do their diabetes testing.
    Struggling to get my life back!

Junior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    India

Re: Home Version Thyroid Test

I cant say some proper way but if here are Some problems associated with thyroid imbalance or malfunction include weight problems, fatigue, frequent illness, feeling cold all the time, and feeling down. By that you can imaginate it.

Junior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    United States

You'd think that many labs should be available in some home version. Pregnancy tests and sugar tests are done at home. Now you can also test your blood coagulation at home if you are on blood thinners - though this is not widely available. There are many intrinsic problems with home testing of labs. There are ethical considerations. For example, a few years back there was controversy about home testing for sexually transmitted diseases, especially HIV. And this wasn't even with the person getting the results immediately - they had to mail in the tests to be run in a lab. Secondly, it has to be an easy test to run. I really don't know what's involved in the thyroid test once it goes to the lab. Thirdly, it needs to be a common enough problem that requires constant surveillance. Thyroid hormones take 2-3 months to stabilize. Just because you start a thyroid hormone doesn't mean it reaches its steady state right away. Therefore, daily testing is completely unnecessary. Like other hormones, there will be fluctuations in the level. In addition, people need to be taught to understand what the levels mean. Diabetics are taught what to do if their sugars are too high or too low. Taking an extra dose of thyroid hormones is not a solution to an abnormal thyroid test. Like I said, it takes 2-3 months for the levels to reach their steady state.

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

To be honest, I wouldnt want to rely on the home test kits as living in the UK, normally the blood tests are free so it's better to do it at the clinic.

Trouble is convincing your GP!!!!

Also like Hayward said, thyroid levels take time to stabilise and the change isnt overnight hence there is no point getting the test done every week.....once every six week is normal time but usually doctors take once every 3 to 6 months.

When Thyroxine (T4) is increased, the test results reflect that immediately after two weeks but TSH takes it's time to drop and may take at least 6 weeks before you see the actual level of TSH.

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense