View RSS Feed

Jonah

Three Years Later...My story with Thyroid and TSH

Rate this Entry

My TSH was first tested as abnormal in April 2009 due to concerns about dramatic unintentional weight loss- from 119 to 99 lb (I dropped a couple more pounds after it was tested). It was tested during the pre-op visit for my cholecystectomy and we really didn't expect an abnormal result, but my TSH was 0.20.
I went ahead, had surgery, had the TSH retested, and it was 0.12, so my endocrinologist (I have an endocrinologist because I have diabetes) ordered a number of other tests. These ruled out just about everything. I did not have Hashimoto's, I did not have Grave's, I did not have nodules, and my inflammation markers were low, not high. I did develop extreme tenderness in my neck and a full body tremor. Because the iodine uptake was low - 5.5% with a lower limit on the normal range at 8% - I was diagnosed with idiopathic subacute thyroiditis.
Within a few months, my TSH went into the normal range, and at every subsequent test, it has stayed there. It bounced a bit within the normal range before settling around 1.5 (interestingy, all three TSH readings prior to the ones that were low had been below 1)

Unfortunately, the tenderness in my neck did not entirely go away; it comes and goes. In the fall of 2010 when it became so bad that I had trouble swallowing, I had an ultrasound, which showed a very mildly enlarged thyroid, and nothing else. It got better but it gets better and worse.

My weight did not recover. After it fell from 119 to 97 pounds, it began going up and went up to 104 lb before falling again. Since it dropped, I've been weighed in at 96-104 lb. I developed acute gallstone pancreatitis in March 2010, eleven months after my gallbladder had been removed, and I still have residual pancreatitis.

The tremor persisted for a while after the thyrotoxicity, but it is gone now.
The anxiety improved.
My resting pulse went up to about 90 while I was thyrotoxic, and then it fell sharply. My resting pulse is currenly in the upper 50s.

Going forward, my endocrinologist will continue to palpate my thyroid at every visit as long as it remains tender, and we're checking the TSH annually, and hoping that where I'm at is where I'll stay.

Submit "Three Years Later...My story with Thyroid and TSH" to Digg Submit "Three Years Later...My story with Thyroid and TSH" to del.icio.us Submit "Three Years Later...My story with Thyroid and TSH" to StumbleUpon Submit "Three Years Later...My story with Thyroid and TSH" to Google Submit "Three Years Later...My story with Thyroid and TSH" to Facebook

Comments